We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

We will be staying in Hvolsvollur for 4 days around 20 June and we would like to do a day hike either around Thorsmork or Landmannalaugar. Which would you recommend and is it possible to do a hike in either area without hiring a guide? Would we be able to drive on our own to either area (we are renting an AWD SUV)? I'm pretty sure we can't drive ourselves to Thorsmork, but I'm not sure about Landmannalaugar. I found that hiring a guide or even taking the bus to Thorsmork to be very expensive. If we should do the bus or a guided hike, can you recommend a company or web site? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Hvolsvollur
Hvolsvollur
South Region, Iceland
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
5 replies to this topic
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

You can drive a SUV (If the car rental allows it) to Landmannalaugar. No "F" road. Take road 208 from road 26. Walk the last 100 metres if you do not want to cross the river at the parking.

For Thorsmork you need a "Full size" 4X4 truck, and much experience in crossing big rivers.

You can hike both places without a guide. Everything is pretty straight forward and easy to navigate.

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,804 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

If you want to drive there and don't have a full size 4x4 and extensive experience fording rivers in a vehicle, then it will have to be Landmannalaugar. It would be best to park before the river and cross on the footbridge.

@icelandicguide: is 224 no longer an F-road then? It seems 208 N is not, but I am not sure about 224.

Personally I would choose Þórsmörk, but then you would have to take the Highland bus.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 18:34
Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

F224 is definitely still an F road.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

Thank you all so much for the information - it is very helpful! I agree that Thorsmork would be our best choice. Is it possible (and easy) to pick up the bus to Thorsmork in Hvolsvollur? Do we need to make reservations.? If so, can someone give us the link?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Hvolsvollur
Hvolsvollur
South Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes

224 is a "F" road. BUT, it ends at Landmannalaugar car park, and the car park is before you cross the river, so no river crossing necessary. 225 is a "F" road with one river crossing, where people have managed to drown their vehicles.

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Reply to: Thorsmork or Landmannnalaugar for Day Hikes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Region