We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, AB Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

I will be in Chicago(travelling solo, 40yr Male) June 20th for 4 nights. I do not want to pay the high hotel rates in Downtown area. Am considering the Itasca area. I will have a car. I will do some attractions downtown, but wanting opinions mainly on alternate areas to stay(that have more affordable rates) Hotwire has great rates in Itasca area. I know it's a bit of a drive to downtown. Would the Northbrook, Glenview, Mt Prospect area be ok??

Any opinions, good or bad are welcomed !!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,287 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Itasca is far, what about a hostel?

What are you planning on doing here? You are going to spend most of your time commuting

These areas you are looking at are too far away

Edited: 03 April 2012, 15:09
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

First of all park your car and use public transportation. Second do anything to avoid rush hour traffic. Look at the Renaissance, Holiday Inn and Marriott in Rosemont at Cumberland Road. You can walk to the Blue Line elevated and park for no charge at your hotel. You'll be a hour outside of downtown. Since,however, this is your first time in Chicago stay in the City and not a bedroom or business suburb.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Do you want to be in Itasca or Chicago? It's cheaper for a reason--it's not desirable. What you save in hotel rooms you will spend on fuel and parking costs if you come to the city each day. Look at B&B's such as Two Urns in Wicker Park or the City Suites Hotel near Wrigley Field that are less expensive than the downtown prices. And also check the hotel liquidators such as hotwire or travelzoo to get some nice deals.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Stay near a CTA line. It will be more convenient to commute via CTA than via car or Metra commuter line. Look at the O'Hare Garden motel on Higgins just east of Cumberland. It's only 2 stars, but it's cheap and a short walk to the Cumberland "L" Blue Line station.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Check rates at the Hampton Inn in Skokie, IL. Free parking, breakfast, and indoor pool. Shuttle to the CTA yellow line train station to get you downtown.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Why will you have a car? Are you driving in from out of town? Don't rent one because you think you'll save money driving to Chicago from Itasca or closer suburb. You'll have to pay for parking and gas. What are you going to do at night in Itasca? Do you want to be completely reliant on suburban train schedule? I would rethink staying farther out if I were you. This is your first time to Chicago so experience Chicago.

MidWest
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

We drove to Chicago and stayed at the Springhill Suites at OHare. They have a free shuttle to the Cumberland Blue Line "El" station, if you don't mind the 30 min ride into town. Springhill Suites was half the price of city hotels, even with free parking and breakfast.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,287 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

it will take way longer than 30 minutes from springhill suites at ohare to downtown, more like and hour and 30 minutes

wait for shuttle, drive to el, wait for el, take el downtown, transfer to different line, bus or walk to destination

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

Check rates at the hotels in Evanston. There are several "L" (CTA Purple Line mass-transit) and Metra (commuter trains) stations in Evanston, both which go to downtown Chicago (and all points in-between).

I think there are also some hotels in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview neighborhoods in Chicago that are not too far from "L" stops. Not sure what the price difference would be compared to downtown/Loop locations, though.

Glenview/Northbrook would be OK, but I would recommend taking the Metra from one of those locations. You will have to drive to the station, pay to park for the day, and take the train downtown.

No matter where you stay, I suggest not driving in and out of the city everyday, unless you have strong medication with you.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Chicago / Alternate hotel areas to downtown??

30 minutes from the Cumberland stop to downtown? No. Just the ride alone clocks in at 40 minutes and then as another poster says, all the collateral travelling will bump up your commute to well over an hour, minimum.