We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm planning a trip to Chicago from London in September/October 2019 for my partners 30th.

Neither of us plan on driving and were hoping for some good suggestions on excursion options by coach/bus/tour companies. These could be for up to about 5 days.

I'm hoping to be in Chicago for around 10days.

We don't have a massive budget but willing to spend for a great experience.

I've only done Florida/New York before so any advice will be great.

We are outdoorsy people, however neither of us are fitness fanatics.

Thanks very much

10 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Are you looking for tour bus options within Chicago or from Chicago to other states?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

I'm open to options. Probably other states

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,910 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

We don't know you. What are your options? In Chicago you have the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) which includes city buses and the elevated and subway trains; Metra is our regional and commuter train system, and Amtrak is the national train system. What do you want to do? Where do you want to go? How much time do you have? 10 days in Chicago and then 2 weeks to explore Denver, St. Louis, Seattle, Reno, San Francisco.... or do you have just 10 days to do everything.? You need to do some research on your own to give us some direction.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

We are looking at 10 days for our whole trip.

I was hoping for 5 days to see Chicago using the local public transport plus 4 days to do a planned trip with a tour company.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:02
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,910 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Are you flying into and out of Chicago? We don't do tour companies over here. You could take an Amtrak train to Milwaukee Wisconsin, St. Louis Missouri, or even overnight to New Orleans Louisiana. You would probably want to fly out of New Orleans rather than backtrack to Chicago. You could rent a car and visit Galena Illinois and Dubuque Iowa. You need to do some of your own research. We're not travel agents. Start by looking through the Top Questions on this forum ( not available on phone apps). Pay careful attention to the "dates to avoid" sticky. Do not purchase airlne tickets before you know that you can find an affordable hotel.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:10
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

You can look into a company called Tauck Tours. They have a few USA based tours, though (from the quick look I took) all of them are over 4 days long and none of them leave Chicago (there is a river cruise option that does leave from here but that is for 2019).

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Thanks for your help, I will do some more research, I have already looked into bus tours for a few days which I did find with tour companies.

Some include Smokey mountains which is of interest to us.

We haven't got dates set in stone and I have looked into dates to avoid but given its for 2019 some dates haven't been announced.

As said above neither of us will be driving.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

Thanks Dave, I will take a look, we are travelling 2019.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,910 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is in the State of Tennessee near Knoxville. You'd have to fly there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options

I know you don't have set dates yet but be aware that the Chicago Marathon always falls on Columbus Day weekend (which will be the weekend of October 12-14th). Hotel rooms usually sell out or spike in price. I would avoid that weekend in your planning.

Reply to: Chicago coach/bus sieseeing options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted