We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

I am kind of panicking about my hour and a half layover in O'Hare airport from Seattle. I arrive at O'hare at 3:17pm and my connecting flight to Rome leaves at 4:55pm. I am on American Airlines and so is my connection, so hopefully they will leave out of the same terminal. O'Hare is huge so I am nervous about a long hike to the gate. And it is too late to change my ticket. I booked in January. and my flight leaves in 5 days. I didn't begin panic until yesterday lol. My partner keeps telling me to not worry, but I haven't listened. Am I over-reacting?

11 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,402 posts
140 reviews
1. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

AA thinks that you can make it. Terminal 3 is actually pretty easy to use. Since you're not changing terminals there should be no problem IF your flight from Seattle is on time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
2. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Yeah, and that is a BIG IF ! Lol

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Even if your flight is late, they will put you on the next available flight out.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

I would just worry about weather or mechanical issues and you can't control that. Once there, O Hare is not as challenging as people make it out to be.

I see you're catching the one non-stop there is from ORD to Rome. If you're delayed getting into Chicago, American will have to shift you to a flight that will arrive a lot later. If I were in your shoes I'd see if I could standby for that earlier flight out of Seattle to make sure you catch that non stop.

One time I had a 90 minute connection at ORD when the weather messed things up. American made me fly down to Dallas and then onto Europe from there. I wasn't happy to say the least.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Happi: American will most certainly put Curly on a different flight. But it looks like a lot of those require switching at the mess that is London Heathrow.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
6. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

I apologize for my ignorance. So that means that I will have to call the airline and see if they can put me on an earlier same day flight. Is that correct? AAAH I'm so nervous.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Dweebe, you are being overly dramatic. People catch connections thousands of times a day at Ohare, as well as other airports. OP, if you want to try for an earlier flight, fine. But at this point, it will cost you. I would just go with the flow, and react when there is something to react to. There are many flights leaving out of Ohare to Rome, some stop in other us cities, stop stop in London before heading to Rome.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

Call American and ask: it can't hurt.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,849 posts
118 reviews
9. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

You can call American and ask about changing the ticket to get on an earlier flight to Chicago but it will probably be very expensive. They will charge you a change fee and possible difference in fare. 90 minutes is tight but reasonable. If the first flight is on time you will make it with no problem. If both flights are on American they'll both use terminal 3. Even if at opposite ends of the concourse it's less than a 10 minute walk from gate to gate.

If you miss the connection they will put you on the next flight with available seats to your final destination. As other posts pointed out, they may re-route you through another city, like London or Dallas. If you're in Seattle and it looks like your flight to Chicago is very late, talk to the gate agent about it. They can often re-route you right at that point if it's clear you will miss the connection.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.

To be clear they will put you on the next available American or one-world flight. You will connect most likely through LHR as you are on the only non-stop to FCO from ORD. You can go on to AA.com and look at the available flights on your day of travel to see other potential routings should you miss your flight.

B.

Reply to: An hour and a half Layover for flight to Rome.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted