We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there really no place like home?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Is there really no place like home?

I recently read a post here about what to expect when moving to Chicago as I've been trying to find my next place to live. I grew up in the suburbs and lived in the city for several years too. I haven't traveled the U.S. much except a little to Tulsa(where I was born and lived for about a year), and Florida. I moved with my partner to the Fort Myer's area for about a year. Having a partner and Midwesterner with me, I didn't find it too difficult to survive. I met enough transplants to satisfy the need for engaging conversation and my personality remained relatively intact. I could have made anything work for the Lover's Key area dog beach... my happy place! I moved back to Chicago for two years and then ended up following family to Jacksonville, Florida... I can't express how deeply depressing it is here and I feel like I'm turning into a local(the feeling is terror). My family moved away and I am so lonely and unsatisfied with most of my interactions, and especially how on edge people are. The feeling of unease is everywhere... I can't WAIT to move!!!!

Thanks for making it through the detail of my back story. HERE'S THE QUESTION: Is there any other city like Chicago!? Five years of living in a hot climate(minus the humidity which is not good for me at all) has been amazing for my mood. If I could move Chicago to the southern Gulf Coast of Florida, there'd be no question where I would live. I am interested in possibly opening a dog business, so I would love an economy that supports having the means to spend lots of extra money on animal care. I'd love it if it was warm. My biggest driving factor is the feel and attitude of the people. Intuitively, it feels like areas southwest might work for me. San Diego or Arizona cities maybe? I love natural calm bodies of water- especially springs or somewhere calm and inviting for dogs to swim. I'm looking for the Chicago type of person in a different location basically. Does this place exist outside of my mind? I'm not sure what I'm willing to compromised, but I'd really like to avoid 6 months of winter for a lifetime. Thank you so much!!!!

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,298 Reviews
from USD 41.44*
Best Seller
Chicago Crime and Mob Tour
525 Reviews
from USD 39.95*
Special Offer
Skydeck Chicago Admission
623 Reviews
from USD 22.00*
USD 24.00
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Is there really no place like home?

I love love love NOLA. It is the only place I've seriously considered relocating to. I don't know if swimming is allowed in Lake Ponchartrain or not.

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Is there really no place like home?

Maybe it is the cold winters that bond us together, but I feel like of the places I have traveled and stayed the only other place that feels as homey as Chicago was Boston. I did feel comfortable on Maui but that cost of living is crazy.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Is there really no place like home?

Chicago is on the Michigan Ocean; a calm body of fresh water. We have 18 beaches. We moved here in 1981 from SF Bay Area. You couldn't pay us to move back. This is an exciting world class city. Now, saying that, you know that we have weather. In the winter we go indoors and enjoy friends and family. You need to be able to establish friendships to get you through the winter. (it helps if you're a good cook) In the summer, we're all over the place as long as it's outdoors.

Trying to compare Chicago to San Diego or some Arizona city is impossible. Apples & Oranges.

Your post may be taken down since it is not travel related. Good luck

Edited: 18 May 2018, 06:57
Reply to: Is there really no place like home?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted