We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Help!

I will be in Chicago late October - arriving 10/23/departing 10/27 - for a seminar at the Marriott Marquis, daily 8-4. I'm looking for something to do solo Tuesday-Friday nights in case I don't make any friends in class ;) I'm also open to suggestions in case I do make a friend to explore with, but I'm more concerned that I'll be in an amazing city and not leave the hotel!

My limits:

1. I'm married, and I will be up early every morning so not looking for crazy bar scene options.

2. Not a huge sports fan, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at something unique or historical.

3. I'll be leaving the seminar until ~4pm.

4. I don't want to feel super awkward being alone whatever I do.

6. No rough neighborhoods or super scary halloween events.

7. Not looking to spend more than $30/day (unless it's amazing!)

8. I am very active and am totally up for (safe) strolls or jogs, but I expect that it will be dark by 6:30ish so that doesn't leave a lot of time.

9. Will be staying and attending the seminar in the McCormick place area, but I'll have a car to get around.

...any suggestions or should I load up on magazines? :) TIA!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Please check the entertainment listings at www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com

www.chicagoplays.com for the current theater scene.

Also check the calendar at www.choosechicago.com

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Marriott Marquee is the new hotel at McCormick Place Convention Center. By design, it seems, convention centers are isolated. The #3 CTA bus will get you into downtown and River North/Magnificent Mile, or you can take a cab or uber. If you use your car, you have more destination options but budget $30-40 per day parking costs.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 08:20
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Thanks for the leads!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

You don't need a car. Parking is $$$ everywhere. Use Uber or public transportation.

B.

Level Contributor
3,445 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Hi didn't know the hotel would be open then. As others have said you are far from anything besides the convention center. I would suggest theater but you will need to up your price for most things. You can probably get very good seats for just one.

I often eat at the bar when I am traveling alone. Again $30 is not a lot for a good dinner with tips & tax. Maybe check out Willis Tower or Hancock at night. I would not spend the night in my room but check out what the city has to offer. Have fun

Edited: 16 August 2017, 09:46
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

You were OK until your #7. You are coming to one of the best cities in the world. Don't you think you could up that budget some? You may never have the chance again - but we hope not.

If that $30 includes meals, you could (maybe) only go to fast-food restaurants - but not for 3 meals. Not even fast-casual, because you'd exhaust your entire budget in a single meal.

Well, you can look at Hottix.org for discounted theatrical tickets. Problem is many of the best are over that $30 - others under may have a limited view.

The Chicago International Film Festival runs Oct. 12-26. www.chicagofilmfestival.com/festival

You could go up in either of the towers (Willis or John Hancock). They are both open until 11 p.m.

The Chicago History Museum has two events which might interest you: On the 24th and the 26th. www.chicagohistory.org/events

You could go to the Art Institute on the 26th (Thurs), as it is open late 5-8 p.m.

You won't be able to get in any jazz or blues club because the $30 won't pay for the cover plus the necessary drinks.

Steppenwolf will be performing "The Rembrandt" when you are in the city (until November 5). With ensemble members Francis Guinan and John Mahoney. But, unless you find something on Hottix.org, it would be more than twice your budget.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Hamilton is playing. There are $187 limited viewing in first ten rows or so of Orchestra. Those are actually fairly good seats. Better to be a few seats in than aisle. That blows your budget. Buy ticket NOW online at Broadwayinchicago.com

Also, Les Miserables is playing that week in Chicago. I might buy ticket at Hottix when in town for that show

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

For your Thursday night (especially if you make a friend in class), I'd suggest going to Motor Row Brewing for their Brew and Blues night. It runs from 6-11 pm. You could walk there easily (literally less than a half mile away) but you can also cab it. I'd double check to see if they are still going in October (calendar is only up to September)

http://www.motorrowbrewing.com/blues/

You will be close to Chinatown if you want to go for dinner/explore there after the seminar. Pizano's opened up on 2106 Indiana if you are looking to try deep dish pizza.

http://www.pizanoschicago.com/lincoln.php

A half mile north of you is 18th street. Check out The Spoke and Bird which is a hybrid coffee shop/cafe place. They do close at 6. They are right in the Prairie District where a lot of the hob-nob people lived before moving north. Very few examples of the old mansions are there but there are some. The park on Prairie Ave and 18th has a very good synopsis of the time. You can check out the Glessner House and the Clark House. However the tour hours are over by the time the seminar lets out. There is a also a nice tribute garden to Jane Adams within the park. Very nice stroll.

http://www.pizanoschicago.com/lincoln.php

https://www.glessnerhouse.org/

https:/…clarke_house_museum.html

chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

Portillo's is an iconic Chicago restaurant that serves Italian beef, Chicago dogs, shakes and amazing chocolate cake. Go to Garrett's Popcorn and get the Chicago mix. You can get a bowl of arguably the best ramen soup at High Five Ramen at 112 N. Green St. for $14. There will be a line because the place is tiny, but you can grab a drink at Green Street BBQ while you wait and the area has a lot of great bars/restaurants to check out.

Walk along Michigan Avenue for window shopping. On the south end, get a pic by the Bean at Millennium Park, and nearby is the Art Institute - rated the best museum by Trip Advisor readers. On the north end, go to the John Hancock tower, but instead of buying a ticket to the Observatory, see the spectacular view from the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor. A cocktail will cost about $20 with tip, but worth it!

The Lincoln Park Zoo is free. Check out other free stuff closer to your visit at http://chicagofree.info/

Enjoy your visit!!

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
290 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening activities for solo female traveler in October

I think the Hamilton show also does a daily lottery where you could win a very cheap ticket. Might be something to look into if you're interested in that.