We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee "tours"

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Tybee "tours"

Is it worth the $$ to take one of the tours, or would we be just as likely to find good shelling, spot dolphins, enjoy the lighthouse, birding, etc just bumbling around on our own?

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee "tours"

I do not know what the Tybee tours offer but I think you would do just as good bumming around on your own. Keep in mind that Tybee is SMALL. It is only a few miles long and not that wide. You can walk the length of the beach in 2 or 3 hours depending.

For seeing the dolphins you can usually spot them from the Lazzarotto creek pier across from the shrimp boats. The best way to see them is by taking a tour. I would recommend Captian Mikes at the shrimp boat docks on the south east side of the bridge. Shelling is not that great at Tybee. There is too much pumped up sand on the beach. There use to be a gruop that dig fossil hunts on the Savannh dredge sites.

If you are at Tybee I would recommend eating at the Crab Shack. It is good as is a lot of places on the island.

2. Re: Tybee "tours"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island