We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island vs. Hilton Head

St. Louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Tybee Island vs. Hilton Head

What are the big differences between Hilton Head and Tybee Island? This will be our first vacation with our 1 year old so we are looking for a laid back area that's not overcrowded. We plan on going sometime between the end of June to the beginning of August for one week. We are on a budget looking to spend about $700 to $1000 for a one+ bedroom hopefully on beachfront view. We want other things to do other than the beach everyday but already plan on day trips to Savannah. Which island would you suggest? Any suggestions on condos or cottages?

Level Contributor
3,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee Island vs. Hilton Head

If you plan to do day trips ot the center of Sav (the HIstoric District) then you need to stay on Tybee which is only about 14 miles away. Hilton Head is well over an hour at least away. We love Tybee and stay there often when we go down to visit the house we own in Sav. We went to HH once and didn't like it at all . We found it to be very stuffy, expensive and exclusive but that could be us. Tybee is super laid back, maybe a bit too laid back for some people but I would highly recommed it for som relaxed time with the your baby. We always rent a cottage as we like our personal space and there a ton of rentals on the island. Check here in TA for suggestions of agencies that do the rentals.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee Island vs. Hilton Head

We prefer HHI because we think the accomodations are better. The beach and the ocean are the same. HHI is more affluent as mentioned above, but you can get a 4 star property through priceline for $75-100/night depending on when you stay, you cant do that at tybee ( I am not even sure there is a 4 star property on Tybee). To me, the properties on tybee are older and have less ammenities, but I can understand why you would want a condo with a kitchen versus a hotel. But we always found that the kitchen really didnt save us money; most condos have the cheapest pots and pans available, and the food at the grocery stores in a travel destination city are usually higher. With dollar menus as they are, you can eat fast food as cheap as you can buy stuff at the grocery store. It really depends on what you want to accomplish, the good news is that neither area is bad, you will enjoy both; although jelly fish seem to be worse at tybee to me.

Tybee is closer to Savannah if that is the true focus of your trip. Neither area is as "crowded" as many of the Florida beaches. The price of everything besides the hotel is higher at HHI versus Tybee, but the hotel is usually the biggest expense, which may be cheaper at HHI depending on what condos are going for in peak season. Not sure I helped, probably confused you more, feel free to ask more direct questions.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 12:02
3. Re: Tybee Island vs. Hilton Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island