We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanfront Condos - Sounds Like SBRC is out....

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oceanfront Condos - Sounds Like SBRC is out....

Since SBRC is on the river and not exactly the surf, I am looking for another place to call "home" during our visit. Lighthouse Point is an option. Any other suggestions for a condo, north beach, oceanfront?

Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanfront Condos - Sounds Like SBRC is out....

You know, I never understood this. If you look at the all the maps, including satellite maps it seems to me the river ends where the bridge is getting into Tybee. The SBRC is WAY further down the road. Yet everybody says it is the river. There is even hand drawn maps at the visitors center that show the SBRC right on the Savannah river with you being able to see the other side.

I have stayed at the SBRC and at worst this is similar to Port Royal Sound (Hilton Head) and Lewes beach near Rehoboth. If you look Northeast you can see Hilton Head if you look east you can see the river.

Maybe it is because I live in Pittsburgh and am used to the three rivers here but rest assured the beach is more like a bay beach than a river beach. Hell up here our rivers are putrid and we have no sandy beaches or dolphins--- just river banks.

Now you can't surf on the north beach but the island is so small that you can walk anywhere and get to the surf area.

I just don't get how this is a river at the SBRC, you can't see the other side (which doesn't exist) so how is it a river? I can clearly see the other sides of my rivers here in Pittsburgh.

The SBRC is on "Bay" st and Tybee is really mising the boat on promoting this area properly. It is so quiet and peaceful there. I sometimes find myself just listening to the waves at the SBRC from way up here in Pittsburgh.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanfront Condos - Sounds Like SBRC is out....

I have stayed at SBRC for at least 4 years now. It is very nice and quiet. Perfect for families. Sure you can't "ride the waves", but you can't do that very well at the main beach either (the current is very strong). Anyway, I've been to Lighthouse Point (comparing the two places) and I would pick SBRC over Lighthouse Point. At Lighthouse Point the walk is farther to the beach and the pool area is not as nice. (just my opinion). SBRC has two buildings that are older (but very well kept) that are 1 bdr 1 bath and one building that is newer with 2 and 3 bdr units. The entire complex has 3 pools 1 kiddie, a racquet ball court, and wi-fi in the pool area. You can also see dolphins from your balcony. Great place!

3. Re: Oceanfront Condos - Sounds Like SBRC is out....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island