We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
257 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

I am trying to decide/research for the beach trip we plan to take this coming spring or summer of 2011. We usally go to Carolina Beach, NC or Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have 2 kids ages 4 and 10 ( Will be 5 and 11 at time of our trip).

A friend of mine visited Tybee for a couple hours on her way to Florida. She said she really liked it ;however, this friend doesn't have any children. She also visited Savannah and was telling me about River Street (?).

I was wondering if Tybee is child friendly. Is there anything for kids to do other than the beach ? What about the beach itself....is it wide and flat or does it have a pretty steep slope ? Shells ....are there shells to gather or barely any ?I have been reading all these posts about jellyfish .....does Tybee have more jellyfish than Myrtle ? (Scary!).

Our other option we were considering is St. Augustine (friend said she loved that area too) but being as we live in TN....I don't know that I want to brave that long of a road trip with 2 kids !!

And finally (if you made it this far) can you recommend a hotel ?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Tybee is nothing like Myrtle as far as amusement parks and such, but I think Tybee is very family friendly. You may want to look at the Disney Resort that is on Hilton Head, I never stayed there, but it probably has alot of kid activities. From Hilton Head, you could make the short drive to Savannah or Tybee.

Level Contributor
3,989 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

The beach at Tybee is made for kids, very wide and sandy with the great Pavilion to walk on and watch people fish. There is a small cute little Aquarium there also. I have seen jelly fish at Hilton Head but not yet anyway at Tybee, I'm sure its pretty cyclic. Not too many shells.

Check all the posts for places to stay, either villas or condos or motels. I would not recommend the motels with kids as some of them get pretty crazy with partiers. Overall, I would suggest looking for a separate cottage and there are a ton of rental agencies that will find one for you.

Other things to do- rent bikes and ride on the beach or on the roads all over Tybee or go into the Historic District and research kid friendly activities there. I would NOT bring kids around River Street too much, its just swarming with grownups, the street is narrow, lines at the restaurants can be long and at night you may not be comfortable with the party atmosphere with small kids with you. There are WAY better parts of the HD to visit in this wonderful city.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

Tybee is kid friendly but if you have been taking they to Mytle Beach they will be BORED on Tybee. Tybee is just a couple of miles long. The beach is nice without a steep drop off but like all beaches that get new sand pumped onto them every 5 to 10 years there is not much shelling. Tybee has a lighthouse the kids can enjoy and just off of the island is Fort Pulaski and a mini golf that is kind of plan. They jellyfish come and go just like Mytle beach. The water temperatures are the same.

I went to Mytle beach this summer and it is hard to compare the 2. Tybee is a really lay back kind of beach and Mytle beach has SO much to do for tourist of all ages. I love the beach at Tybee but like I said above it does not have the stuff to do that will keep the kids happy after they have had so much to do at Mytle beach.

Does that make since?

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

II have been to Tybee/Savannah and loved them both! I grew up in St. Augustine and I think that with kids, St. Augustine would be a great choice, too. There are 2 cool, interesting forts, great walking and lots to see downtown (shopping and historical), several putt-putt golf places, The Alligator Farm, kayaking, boat tours, a lighthouse,etc. I like our beaches better (sorry, i am probably biased on that:) St. Augustine has 2 great outlet malls if you are interested in that. Savannah may have that as well, I've just never been there to shop. Both are great places and your family would have fun at either!

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

Tybee island is the best beach I'd been to great walking distance.But just because I'm 15 and things like that doesn't mean I'm a lazy teen dude I love to walk the beach of tybee.Some of the people are alittle rude but other than that it's a great place to stay and soak in the sun

Durham, North...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

We're in Durham NC and have three kids. For the last few spring breaks we've gone to Tybee. We were looking to drive South for warmer weather but not so far that the kids (and we) would go crazy from the long drive.

We're debating about going back again this year, and I'm considering trying St. Augustine just for a change of pace too. Tybee has been wonderful for us. It's still got the charm of an old beach village with twisty, sandy streets, quirky cottages and no big strip malls or high rise hotels. We always rent cottages- there are tons to choose from, and we rent bikes.The beaches are fine for the kids, though I'd agree not too many shells unless you venture around the bend on the North side. While on the island, we rarely drive anywhere. Our favorite part of the island is the North Side. You can walk or bike to the lighthouse and Fort Pulaski and it's museum. We bring our dog and walk him twice a day to the dog park. Its secluded from the trashier mid-island shops and restaurants, but we always do venture down there to get ice cream and peruse the typical junky beach shops the kids love. There's a stretch of shops as your first drive onto the island that's a bit more upscale and pretty to wander through. There are a bunch of (average, but fun) restaurants, all basically kid-friendly. Our kids favorite place is the Crab Shack. It's a big ramshackle open-air place on the marsh with live alligators the kids can feed, lots of places to explore and a hole in every table for the messy crab and shrimp shells to drop in. There are a couple of nice playgrounds, plenty of ice cream, a big fishing pier... Just your classic, laid back beach vacation.

When we get restless or the weather is cool or rainy, Savannah is only 1/2 hour away. Tons to do there. Horse-drawn carriage tours, beautiful Southern architecture and open squares dripping with Spanish moss every few block. There are ghost walks, and The Pirate's House restaurant is great- pirates wander the restaurant while you eat and occasionally visit your table, help themselves to your dinner rolls, scare the kids a little. Plenty of shopping too. We always visit the artsy section around the Savannah School of Art.

I'd definitely recommend the Tybee/ Savannah experience.

Charleston, SC is great too.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
257 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

Thanks everyone :) !

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

Tybee is fabulous for kids. The lighthouse, aquarium, pier, Fort Screven, dolphins, the tides(walking out in low tide & boogie boarding close inshore as the tide moves out!! Fabulous for kids in my opinion.

The in-season jellyfish issue on Tybee should be similar to what you would encounter at Myrtle Beach or say Hilton Head. If it's a bad day for jellyfish, all locations would suffer.

9. Re: Tybee Island....kid friendly ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2012, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island