We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids Activities Suggestions

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
Kids Activities Suggestions

We will be visiting SSI for the first time this coming August (I know, high traffic season probably but had to go when work would let us!) and traveling with two 1 year olds. I’m wondering if playgrounds are easy to find/how many there are, and what other places are great for kids (besides the beach obviously!). Are there any splash pads available at pools? Thank you in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

Great park near the pier but go early because it will be hot.

Nearby is Jekyll island with Turtle center.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
225 reviews
2. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

City parks are concentrated on the southern end of the island. As noted by PeachBelle, Neptune Park down by the pier is the largest and most developed. You also have Mallery Park west of the village business area on Mallery Street. Up Ocean Blvd. you have Massengale Park. My concern would be I don't know how much of the playground elements would be suitable for a 1 year old. The elementary school is also on Ocean Blvd before you get to Massengale, so that might be a bit quieter. The Neptune Park Fun Zone pool has an area specifically designated for smaller children but there is an admission fee for the pool. Likewise, over at Summer Waves on Jekyll Island there is a splash pad. Adult admission is about $20 but kids under 3 are free.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

Thank you so much for your detailed replies- yes a 1 year old won’t be able to do much, but we are all about being outside and hopefully we can find some shaded fun besides the beach. Thank you again!

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
751 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

August is very hot here. Be sure to use the beach during midday and do other activities early morning and after 4pm. You and your family would love the fun zone near the pier. Go to glynncounty.org and type fun zone in the search box. It will be another great alternative to the beach

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

Go over to Jekyll Island and visit the Sea Turtle Center. You can also rent bikes and even pedal surries (or at least you could). Nice quiet island to pedal around on. GREAT long beach to play on too.

Georgia
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

We want to bring our 2 youngsters over winter break. Last of Feb. I can't find a place to stay with indoor or heated pool. Help.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Kids Activities Suggestions

I think the only option is the King and Prince. They may be booked already.

Reply to: Kids Activities Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island