We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

New Jersey
Level Contributor
195 posts
Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

We have limited to stay on the barrier islands in October during a road trip. On which island should we spend a night or two driving down the coast of Georgia and Florida. We have never been to these islands.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

My vote would be for Jekyll Island.

The short answer, any of the three would be great. The regulars here on this forum have their favorites and it's pretty much split.

Maybe write more about what you are looking for and we can better point you to the "best" island for you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,731 posts
505 reviews
2. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

We like beach at Jekyll but hotels, restaurants , etc at St Simons.

Amelia Island is nice too.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

Amelia has a neat historic downtown area and a Hampton Inn right there. Plenty of neat eating places in that area. Not as much to see on Jekyll. St Simons not as "beachy".

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
239 reviews
4. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

Our family loves Amelia (we've been to Jekyll but not SSI).

As Stevedec noted the historic downtown Fernandina Beach is full of charm, good restaurants, unique shops and galleries and home the oldest continuously operating bar in Florida (Palace saloon). Nearby Fort Clinch State Park and Egans Creek greenway offer nice hikes, bike rides and nature.

Cumberland Island National Seashore (in Georgia) is a nice day trip from Amelia.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

Is the ferry running again to Cumberland? Lang's docks really got torn up during Irma.

Edited: 26 September 2017, 11:36
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
126 reviews
6. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

I don't think so yet. It would be worth a check of the NPS website.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

I read that the deductible on each of his two docks was $100,000. That's got to hurt. Not just the huge destruction but the huge cost to rebuild. I don't know what I'd do under the same circumstances.

But Cumberland IS wonderful! One day I'm staying at the Greyfield Inn!

8. Re: Road Trip -- St Simons or Amelia Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2018, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island