We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Camping on CI

Sunriver, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Advice on Camping on CI

We are headed to GA for our spring break (From Oregon). I thought a little wilderness (southern style) woudldo us some good. we are very hardy campers and am looking for advice for simple and easy camping. We will be with two daughters 12 and 14. My big question is gear, how much can we brng on the ferry? i sit basically what we can carry? Potable water avail? and how far are teh recommended campsites to supplies (as meak as they may be). I grew up in Jax. We went to CI on a 5th grade school patrole field trip.

I will be calling in a.m. for reservations and truly hope it isn;t too late.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Camping on CI

You don't have to be able to carry everything at one time if you stay at Seacamp. They have wagons/carts that you can load at ferry drop off and return to dock when you have finished getting everything to your campsite.

If you do pioneer camping, you will have to be able to carry everything. The carts are not allowed in those areas.

Seacamp has water. Except for ice and firewood which you can purchase on the ferry there are no other supplies available for purchase. You have to bring all food and then carry any trash off the island.

HTH

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Camping on CI

Not sure I would regard CI as "simple and easy" camping but you indicate you are hardy and experienced, so that is a plus. As CumberlandGA said, except for potable water at Sea Camp, there are no supplies available on the Island. But it is a unique place and worth the effort to pack minimally (although you could have 40o days or 70o days that time of the year). Only cold water showers at Sea Camp (solar heating system never worked) as well as the restrooms there.

Have fun!

3. Re: Advice on Camping on CI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island