We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to St Marys Area

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First time to St Marys Area

Hi there, trying to plan 10 day visit. We are flying into Jacksonville FL on a Saturday in September. Thinking of stay in St. Marys at Spencer House. Questions:

How far of a drive from Jacksonville to Spencer House?

Options to activities and food choices for Saturday day and evening?

Sunday ferry to Cumberland. Can we make reservations ahead of time and can we walk to the ferry dock from Spencer House?

On Monday morning we are off to the Ocean Lodge....Distance to next stop and what is a must see along the way.

Thanks for your help.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to St Marys Area

It's a 40 minute drive from JAX airport to St.Mary's. You should be able to walk from downtown to ferry. You can make ferry reservations in advance and since you want to visit on a weekend, I suggest you make them ASAP.

What kind of activities and food are you interested in? Crooked River State Park is a nice area.

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to St Marys Area

We love to walk and explore. Biking is another activity. We are in our mid-fifties and very active. We love the outdoors, history, and shopping (me). We love to have a light lunch and splurge on a nice dinner and good cocktails. We love seafood, Italian, Mexican. Were pretty much open when it comes to good food.

Thanks for all the info.

L

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to St Marys Area

There is also a historic cemetery in downtown St Marys.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to St Marys Area

I think you will find plenty of history/shopping/eating downtown. The cemetery is almost parallel to the ferry. Also, try Orange Hall, library and submarine museumn.

I can't really advise on any restaurants except the bar at Seagles is always interesting! They have restaurant too, very good rock shrimp.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to St Marys Area

We had a very good lunch at Lang's (right next to the ferry). We've also eaten several times at a restaurant a mile or so out of town on the south side of the highway; it's even more informal than Lang's and has huge portions of seafood--I think it's called something like "St. Mary's Seafood," but I can't remember for sure.

6. Re: First time to St Marys Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island