We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cumberland Island worth a day trip from St. Simons Island

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cumberland Island worth a day trip from St. Simons Island

Staying in St. Simons the week that July turns into August and am wondering if it is worth taking a day trip down to Cumberland Island. It sounds quite interesting, but I'm not sure if it's for our group.

We will have 2 adults traveling with children aged 2, 8, and 12 y/o.

From what I have read transportation on the island is by foot or bicycle. Is it possible to rent kid bikes and bikes with kid seats or would we be better off just walking and bringing a stroller for the youngest? Can a jogging stroller be taken on the ferry?

Anything else we should know about a trip to Cumberland Island? Thanks.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cumberland Island worth a day trip from St. Simons Island

To get to Cumberland you must take the National Park Ferry from ST. MAry's GA. You must also carry water for everyone. Heat will be a big factor at the time you are considering going. Given the ages of your children and the time of year I would reconsider Cumberland as a day trip opinion... Cumberland is a magical place and very much worth visiting but you must know before you go......

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cumberland Island worth a day trip from St. Simons Island

Thanks. The heat was my biggest concern. I really enjoy visiting national parks, but with how visiting Cumberland is done coupled with the kids and time of year maybe it would be best to pass this trip.

3. Re: Is Cumberland Island worth a day trip from St. Simons Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island