We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incredible Trip!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Incredible Trip!

First off I want to thank everyone who has wrote a review or given advice on this forum. We just got back from a incredible trip to Cumberland Island! I did not want to leave. lol

We decided on a package that was offered through Cumberland Island Inn and Suites. You got 2 ferry tickets, a 40 dollar restaurant voucher, we chose Borrells which is across the street and one night stay at the hotel. The cost was around 140.00.

The hotel was super easy to find and we were able to check in before we caught the ferry. Very nice folks there and we were pleased with the room. It was spacious with a fridge that had a over sized freezer. The bed and pillows were comfy. We had no problems with this place and would stay there again. It was clean, safe and comfortable. The folks were nice and friendly as well.

We arrived at the ferry around 8:20, got our tickets and waited down stairs. Downtown St Marys is a gem. We loved the quaint small town feel. We boarded and started our adventure. The ride over was smooth and lots of fun.

We got off at Dungeness, the first stop and took the ranger tour with Renee. She was wonderful!! There was a very small group of us with the tour. I can not say this enough, take the tour! We learned so much and had so much fun.

Cumberland Island is magical. I can not say enough good things about it. We hiked the historic district over to the beach and then up to Sea Camp. We did all of this and stopped for lunch , pictures and more stops all by 2:15. In time for the early ferry back.

The bugs were bad when we were in the forest. We brought lots of bug spray and used it often.

The horses are beautiful and we were able to see two foals. One was pure white. I can not believe how close we were able to get to them. There were two horses hanging out on the beach just sleeping. This place is pristine and I hope it always stays that way. We seen so much wildlife. We did not rent any bikes this time but the roads looked fine to ride on. We seen quite a few people riding them with no problems.

We are planning to go back in September. A truly incredible place.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incredible Trip!

Glad you enjoyed the island enough to go back. Next time, consider the late afternoon ferry back to St. Mary's so that you can take in the afternoon ranger program at Sea Camp. Also you might enjoy the full-day van tour of the north end, but it's best to make advanced reservations for it.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incredible Trip!

Thanks for the trip report to one of the most magical places I know. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,609 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incredible Trip!

Thanks for the trip report- yes Cumberland Island is beautiful and like a "step back in time"!!!!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incredible Trip!

Oh I can not wait to go back. I am trying to talk my husband into camping on the island. Hes not really a "rough" it kinda of camper but for this island, I think its well worth it.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incredible Trip!

You won't have to "rough it" too much if you stay at Sea Camp because you can take almost anything you're willing to load onto the ferry (e.g., lawn chairs, camp stoves, etc.). You can buy ice from the ferry every day when it docks so you can take a cooler with good food and keep it cold. And if you take solar showers, you can have warm water for your shower! : )

3-4 nights is an ideal time to stay, giving you time for easy walks in both directions. Hope your husband will decide to go--if not, maybe you could go without him?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incredible Trip!

the idea that beautiful Cumberland could have become another Hilton Head is unthinkable .. thank God it was saved in its natural splendor for all of us to enjoy

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incredible Trip!

MandM, your trip report makes we want to go back again, too......every time we go we take the earliest ferry and leave (very reluctantly) on the last ferry of the day.........one of these days I would love to camp out there......

Next time try to do on one of the days that they do the tours of Plum Orchard mansion.....I think it's only twice a month (Sundays maybe).......we loved that and the cost was minimal.......the ferry takes you there, too, a little longer ride......

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incredible Trip!

FWIW: the north end tour (offered daily) includes the Plum Orchard tour.

9. Re: Incredible Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:41
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island