We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
127 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

Is a trip down the coast to Cumberland Island, GA from Kiawah Island, SC worth it? I hear that it is beautiful, and it only looks like it's about 4 hours south of Kiawah. It looks completely unique. We love finding hidden treasures along the coast. Has anyone ever done this as a day trip, and suggestions or tips?

As always, thank you so much!

Jessica

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

I've camped on Cumberland many times but have also been once as a day trip when I couldn't get camping reservations. IMO it's unique--totally different from anywhere else I've seen. I recently wrote someone that it has to have been the original Garden of Eden. But if you're thinking of going, get ferry reservations asap. Bring everything you'll need for the day (food, insect repellant, sun screen), but there's plenty of potable water at the areas visited by day guests. If I didn't have to drive through Altanta to get there, I'd go 3-4 times a year! : )

The ranger tour at the first (Dungeness) ferry dock is excellent. Many day visitors disembark at Dungeness, spend several hours at that location, then amble up the beach or along the road (or river trail) to Sea Camp, attend the 4 p.m. ranger program there, and take the last ferry back to St. Mary's.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

VCV has given some great info. I did look at your post and replies on the Kiawah forum. I think you will find plenty of treasures in SC low country. Maybe save GA coast for a different trip? How much time do you have?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
127 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

Thank you for your replies! We have 7 days. We typically do a day trip from wherever we travel, and don't think much of a 3 or 4 hour trip. Although, based on some of the feedback this may be better suited for another trip entirely. I think that Cumberland Island sounds like something we absolutely must put on the to do list - we will have to decide if it's this time or not.

Thanks again so much for taking the time to respond!

Best!

Jessica

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

Take a day trip to Beaufort and Hunting Island. Beaufort is a nice small town with walking and riding tours and plenty of places to have a nice meal. Hunting Island is a state park with a beach, nature trails, a marsh walk and a lighthouse to climb.

5. Re: day trip down the coast from Kiawah Island, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:42
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island