We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

YAY! We are finally going camping on CI. We chose seacamp b/c we have two boys, 6 & 7 yrs. I'm trying to come up with a list of things to bring....meals(sounds like peanut butter is a must), cooking utensils/pans, snacks,drinks, bug spray, sunscreen, things to have/do in case of rain, things to keep animals out of our stuff, and what about bikes? Can we rent them? If so, where and how much? I don't want to look like the Beverly Hillbillies moving in, but don't want to be ill-prepared either. Thanks in advance for any information!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

A few ideas for starters:

Each campsite at Sea Camp has a cage, where you can keep food like bread safe from the critters as long as you don't leave it right next to the chicken wire sides. If you bring a large cooler, you can put it under the bench of your picnic table at night so the racoons can't get in; also, when the ferry comes in, you can go down to the Sea Camp dock and buy bags of ice on the boat so you can replentish your ice every day.

Bikes can be rented at the Sea Camp dock--not sure of rental price--the rangers sometimes say that the road is too sandy to bother, so it depends on conditions when you're there.

Bugs weren't bad this past April but can be awful, so bring lots more repellant than you think you'll need. Buzz-off clothing (esp. hat) is nice too but pricey if you don't need it on other occasions.

Highly recommended: a thermal shower (which you can find at REI and probably most large outdoor stores). I didn't take one, but one of my friends brought an extra. The Sea Camp showers have only cold water, and the thermal shower was wonderful. Most campers there have them and leave them in the sun all day beside the bathhouse, where no one seems to bother them.

Folding chairs will be more comfortable than the picnic bench for sitting around camp.

As you may know, there are carts at the dock that you can use to haul your gear to the camp. Have someone in your group sprint off the ferry at the first possible minute to get one of the carts with 4 wheels, which are easier to manage than the ones with 3 wheels.

If you haven't already read "Endangered Species" by Nevada Barr (a former ranger who was stationed on CI), you might enjoy this mystery set on the island.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

Wow! Your reply is full of fabulous information. Thanks, VCV! As for the bikes, any idea of they kid bikes or they only for adults? And the thermal shower, that sounds like a must. My husband was not looking forward to cold showers.

Carts; great advice! Thanks. We were wondering if we should bring our hand trunk to load everything. I read in an earlier post to pack our stuff in plastic bins...

The beach....Know much about it? Good place for the kiddos to swim? And fishing...any thoughts?

Thanks once again for all the great info :-)

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
252 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

VCV has given great advice. I would defintely bring ur own dolly/hand truck. That way you can wheel it on the ferry and off with ease and not have to worry if all the carts are taken.

I cannot recall if they rented kids bikes so I'm not much help but I'm sure the Park Service knows.

The beach is a great place for the kids to play( after the ferry leaves at 4pm you'll have it to yourselves.) On certain days the Park Rangers would take a net out in the ocean and then bring the catch on shore and discuss what they had found.

At the entrance to the beach from SC is a great climbing tree that I climbed on as a child and my son has made his "house" when we camp. Your boys will love it.

We left a coffee cup with a spoon and marshmellow in it so we could peek at the racoons at night. The spoon was to make noise so we could grab flashlights and the catch the critter in action.

At the southermost tip of the Island are fiddler crabs galore, we hiked down and had fun watching the crabs run from us.

We don't fish so I can't help there.

Have fun!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

Good recommendation to take your cart to help you load your gear onto the ferry in St. Mary's. I'd still dash off the ferry at Sea Camp to grab one of the 4-wheel carts. They hold tons of stuff. And the plastic bins will be good--just be sure the tops are secure (e.g., under benches) at night. The ranger will likely impress you with stories of the brilliant racoons during orientation.

I don't know about the kids' bikes. And I don't fish myself, but one of the friends I've camped with a couple of times has fished off the S.C. dock but without catching much--his biggest catch was a snake-like thing that I think was an eel.

I remember the "climbing tree" and have pictures of my boys in it when they were young. And I've seen youngsters with kites on the beach. If the surf is too strong for safe swimming, I think warnings will be posted at the ranger station and maybe on the beach also.

As to thermal showers, they come in more than one capacity. The one lent to me held enough water for 3 quick showers, so you won't need one for each family member. The larger ones are very heavy when filled, though. I had to get one of the guys to hang it for me--and he was recruited by several other women to hang theirs. (Look at the shower stalls before deciding on one; some have nails in great places for hanging the bags, whereas others don't.)

Are you taking any kind of camp stove? It's nice to have hot water for dishes at night (but not necessary). Since ice is available from the ferries, we took 3 nights' worth of meat and cooked hot meals every night.

It's amazing what some campers bring over. One campsite had some kind of battery-operated chandelier over their table last year.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

I was wondering about a stove...mostly for heating water for coffee in the morning! I have no problem with cooking meat over the fire, but a stove would be handy for other things.

Chandelier...hmmmm I think we're going to have enough to carry without including a chandelier!

Thanks for the input :-)

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

The climbing tree...sounds like something our boys will LOVE!

Thanks for the info. All of this is so helpful :-)

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

One more tip, esp. if you're on the early ferry: as soon as you locate your campsite, look around and see if departed campers have left unused firewood; sometimes you can find quite a bit (which can be handy since good downded wood in the camping area is scarce).

I can't do w/o my coffee in the morning, so a stove is a necessity for me.

Have a great time, and please post a trip report after your vacation.

8. Re: Need Help Preparing for a September SeaCamp Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island