We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cumberland Island

Rochester
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Cumberland Island

My children are 5 and 7. Do you think exploring CI would work with kids that age? We are looking to see wildlife, beaches, love biking (but from what I've read, it is tricky on the island). For those of you who have camped, do you have to hike in a long way to the sites? Also, what about the other neighboring islands. Which are the best to explore? Thanks

8 replies to this topic
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cumberland Island

My children loved Cumberland Island at those ages. The campground is about a half mile from the boat dock. I've been to CI many times and can't think of anything "tricky" about it.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cumberland Island

The kids will love it. And you could even visit for a day trip if you stayed elsewhere. It does take a bit of planning via the National Park Service ferry so start looking at reservations now.

I can see how biking could be a bit tricky on some of the paths as they can be sandy but if you have good "fat" tires they should be fine. You'll definitely want to rinse out the gears and chain if they get gunked up.

Other options:

Crooked River State Park is another nice campground area not far from CI.

Another option if you wanted to visit CI as a day trip is Amelia Island, Florida which as the crow flies is just across the way from CI. Fort Clinch State Park has camping and is just a couple miles (an easy bike ride) from historic Fernandina Beach. Plenty of bike riding opportunities in the park (paved or "mountain" :)) there. It's one of our favorite places to vacation and we've been bringing our 20 year old here since she was four years old. Plenty to do for kids on Amelia Island and the fort itself offers living history weekends (check the schedule), nature walks. Tons of wildlife.

By the way, there is a lot of useful info on this forum regarding CI - if you get a chance you ought to peruse the many posts - they are extremely helpful.

Edited: 16 January 2018, 20:15
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cumberland Island

I misunderstood the tricky reference. I've never biked on the island but have talked to people who either brought or rented bikes, and they say that sometimes it's ok and sometimes almost impossible, depending on how soft the sand is. And some areas are off limits for bikes. The recommendations above for Crooked Creek and Amenia are very good.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 01:39
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cumberland Island

There is a Jeep tour that you can book that is worth the price that allows you to see the entire Island. It’s not cheap so look at it and decide if it’s a good fit. I would camp there in the early Spring but wouldn’t consider it after May through September. Sites have no electricity so if your kids don’t mind roughing it I would do it when it’s not so hot and buggy.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cumberland Island

Here's the tour information -

https:/…guidedtours.htm

They originally ran it in vans. Not sure if they are doing it now in vans or jeeps.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cumberland Island

PFoote- to your point about hot and buggy, if the OP does visit later in the season, everyone needs to wear insect repellent and cover up (hats, etc) to avoid ticks and mosquitoes.

Camping is definitely rustic- we saw plenty of solar shower bags warming up by one of the campsites. I'm happy with my day visits ;)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cumberland Island

If you are willing to splurge for an overnight stay, the Greyfield Inn has just completed a renovation -

gardenandgun.com/articles/…

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cumberland Island

Erin, the key thing to remember about camping on CI is that you have to bring everything you intend to use/eat and you have to take off everything you brought. No concessions on the islands for that something you forgot. I remember the Sea Camp campsites only to be about 1/8 miles from the Sea Camp dock but I am sure the NPS info has that exact information.

It is a beautiful place and everyone should experience it at least once.

Reply to: Cumberland Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island