We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Camping experiences?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Camping experiences?

Hello, I am interested in camping on the island for two nights. I've never solo camped or visited Cumberland Island, but feel this could be a positive first time after not reading any alarming reviews. Any experiences solo camping? One concern is the difficulty of transporting camping gear off and on ferry by myself. Thx for any advice or support.

26 replies to this topic
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

I've done a lot of solo camping and a lot of camping on C.I. tho I've never camped solo on C.I. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to camp there solo. For a first trip, I'd camp at Sea Camp or Stafford, and I'd limit my gear to what I could fit in a backpack. However some campers bring amazing amounts of gear. I once saw a chandelier hanging above a picnic table! If you want to take more than you can carry, you can rent a cart at the dock to carry your stuff to Seacamp, but not Stafford. Fall and spring are much better than summer, when it's miserably hot. I've done a lot of solo hiking there; it's safe and easy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Thank you so much! I will reconsider summer due to miserable heat and plan according to your advice. Thanks again!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Be sure to get reservations as early as possible. October, March, and April are the best months, IMO, and these fill up fast. If you go, please post on your trip. And on the way down, be sure to stop at We're Nuts in Vienna.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Cumberland is a very unique place to camp and I'd camp there solo without any concerns.

But for a first time solo camp experience, you may want to "try out" what you'll really need at a location closer by. You'll have to haul (ferry then personal transport or wagon) everything to your site.

Maybe do a test drive in a nearby state park? If you think that would be helpful, I'd go to Hard Labor or Fort Yargo. Both are a short drive from Atlanta.

http://gastateparks.org/HardLaborCreek

http://www.gastateparks.org/fortyargo

Fort Yargo is even one of the Georgia state parks that has the First Time Camper Program -

http://gastateparks.org/FirstTimeCamper

If you have a good idea of what you'll really need, you probably won't need a try out night. My hardest challenge would be packing light enough to do a solo trip on Cumberland = one person carrying everything in.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Thank you! I may take a day trip first to understand my needs. Your advice has been helpful

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

I'd do an overnight camping trip. Both of those are good state park options, close enough to Atlanta to make it an easy trial run. Plus you can carry the "extra" stuff in your car (that can be parked steps away) and do one night to see the absolute minimum that you'll need.

Backpackers do it all the time. A short trial run before a long hike. Shake down cruise, if you will. :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Thank you! I starting to feel more confident about solo camping!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

Another great option for a solo camping option near Atlanta would be Stone Mountain park. Very close, very safe, very friendly. Plus you can go see the laser show and fireworks!

We used to take the kids for a birthday party/ overnight camping trip. Close to homes so if the party guests got homesick, it was an easy drive for the parents to come pick them up. Never happened, but it was a great plan and it's a great place to camp.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

I will do research on Stone Mountain area. I have been to Sweetwater in Lithia Springs, but will need to research if they have camping options. Thanks so much!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Camping experiences?

As I mentioned, you can rent a cart at the Sea Camp dock to carry your gear to the campground; but if you want to pack it in yourself, you might try a google search for "backbacking light"; you'll get lots of ideas.

I camped at Stone Mtn. many years ago; it was a little to "urban" for my outdoor preferences--that is, pretty crowded with a lot of coming and going. Not a bad experience at all but totally different from the remoteness and serenity of Cumberland Island. And I prefer the campsites at Stafford and Yankee Paradise to those at Sea Camp, but for a first time, you might be more comfortable at Sea Camp. I understand the recommendation for a trail run near home--you can think over what you're most comfortable with!

I would probably take solo camping trips to CI several times a year if I didn't have to drive through Atlanta,; , IMO, Atlanta driving is much less safe and scarier than the idea of soloing on Cumberland! : )

Reply to: Solo Camping experiences?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island