We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?

Greenville, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?

I camp on Cumberland several times a year, my last visit was in April. I am heading back in a week and am curious how the new non-"check in" for campers on the island is going. It was my understanding that we now print permits at home, and then after departing the ferry at Sea Camp proceed directly to our specific reserved (online) campsite. I know they have a couple who are volunteering living at Sea Camp who act as camp hosts.

Does anyone who has been camping since May 1st have any thoughts on the new process? Do we still have an orientation with the Sea Camp volunteer, or is it as I understood, you just go to your site with your printed permit?

3 replies to this topic
atlanta
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?

Does the NPS web site offer any information? If not, maybe you could call the number on the web site:

(912) 882-4336

Greenville, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?

Thanks. Yes, the info is available, just curious to hear from someone who has done it, if the new way is going as planned, etc. Hoping it's not mass confusion, esp for new campers.

Nothing to do with my question exactly, but I noticed a few glitches with booking on recreation.gov, for example, it wont let you books consecutive nights at different camps. That is big problem since most people "leap frog" when backpacking the island.

They told me to just create two accounts to book my November backpacking trip with a day in between each reservation on each account. That's nuts, but it was the only way to make multi-night reservations at two or more camps. You also can't book more than one campsite at Sea Camp per night due to the same online glitch. I was surprised since they have been taking online reservations for six months, others must have had the same issue, esp backpackers.

Still, it's better than the old days of waiting on hold for hours. so I guess you just have to work with the loopholes until they get it fixed.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?

Good info to know for other potential campers - thanks!

It's an amazing place. We haven't camped there but while hiking, we were impressed with the hot water bags "sunbathing " for folks' showers. Clever!

Reply to: Has anyone been camping since the changes on May 1st?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland Island