We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to trust a company

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Topic
How to trust a company

Hi,

I Stumbled across this company,

www.himalayan-experience.net

How do I know if I can trust them and if other people have had experience with them?

Edited: 21 March 2012, 08:51
18 replies to this topic
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to trust a company

You can know the same way that you know with everybody else...!

Contact them, ask them the questions you need answers for, meet them face to face and don't involve money before you have met.

I have never used them, we always use some one else which we find trustworthy and reliable.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to trust a company

According to their website they are an Australian company. It would be interesting to ask them if they sub-contract the delivery of the trek to a local company in Nepal, and if so for you to consider whether it would be better (and less expensive) to deal direct with a Nepali company: the Nepalese are rather good at the tourist business, particularly in Nepal.

I notice on their website the terms for payment, and their cancellation charges: these compare unfavourably with the Nepalese company that I have used on several occasions, who do not ask for payment until you meet them in Kathmandu (other than for any internal air tickets that they may have to purchase in advance). There are numerous good companies based in Nepal, and Nepali-owned (so that whatever you pay goes into Nepal)

netherlands
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to trust a company

Even if you have found a reliable company according to others, then still there has to be this "click" with your guide / porter.

But i agree with previous posters, there are more good then bad companies to be found,

Have a great trip!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to trust a company

As Alanyeti also pointed out, you could consider dealing directly with a Nepal based company. You will get the same service and experience (or maybe even better), but at half the price.

The agency I use in Nepal, has never charged in advanced (before arrival to Kathmandu) and there has never been cancellation fees involved. But if I had cancelled something, I would ofcourse pay for the expenses the agency might have had.

If you want to get in touch with a reliable nepali based agency, I would be happy to help you. And Alanyeti - who is a very experienced Nepal traveller - has some good contacts too, I know.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to trust a company

I too I usually go with the same travel agent, in the same way Alan and lisbeth do ;-) After 7 years of experience travelling alone in himalaya I've found good people can help me in any kind of conditions. It's very important have someone who can take care we you are alone far from home.

Namaste

Rongpuk

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to trust a company

Thanks for that, what is good price for a 19 day tour? Mabe around $2000? I just want to know what a reasonable price is?

Thanks

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to trust a company

2000 USD can be a very good price or it can be way to expenssive!

It all depends on what the price includes!

Plane tickets?

Airport pick up?

What hotel?

What class of room?

How many meals?

Sightseeing?

Transportation in Nepal?

Which trekking area?

Which trek?

Permits and insurrance?

Which accomodation while trekking?

Etc, etc...

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to trust a company

Are you talking US$ or Aus$ ?

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to trust a company

I'm in Australia so aus dollars...I meant everything excluding air travel to Nepal which I'm guessing could be another 1-2000 dollars? Thanks for that

Edited: 22 March 2012, 20:55
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to trust a company

Aus$2000 sounds ok if you are talking of 19 days, including air-port pick ups, accommodation in Kathmandu (bed & breakfast in medium hotel), internal transfers (by air rather than road - at least one way - if it's a Pokhara-based trek), permits etc., trek accommodation and food.

If it's EBC it may cost a bit more as there's the cost of flights in and out of Lukhla, and the Khumbu tends to be pricier than other areas.

Reply to: How to trust a company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted