We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How dog friendly is venice

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How dog friendly is venice

We are considering vacation property in Venice. Are there any dog friendly beaches in the area? Any areas were we can walk with the dog etc.? Which areas would you recommend?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How dog friendly is venice

Yes....Brohard Beach is dog friendly!

http://www.venice-fla.com/beaches.htm

There are many places in the area to take your dog for walks.

What are you looking for?

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How dog friendly is venice

You can also do a Google (or other) search for Sarasota County Parks and it should show which parks allow dogs. I know that Venice has one near Woodmere that allows dogs, but there might be others.

I found Venice to be more restrictive than N. CA when we moved from there with our dog, but there are places for your dog to run free and most places are fine with you having a dog on a leash and cleaning up after him/her. Lots of people have dogs down here.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How dog friendly is venice

Thank you both for helpful replies. Brohard beach allows dogs off leash. Are they allowed on leash at other public beaches or are they banned there ?

Also,one of ICW allows dogs on leash. Are you not allowed to walk with a dog on leash anywhere else?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,066 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How dog friendly is venice

If you want to dine out with your pooch, look for waterside tiki bars esp near or at marinas. My local one in CC allows dogs on a leash.

But where I am that beach in venice is the closest one that allows dogs so you chose a good area with a pet. It is over 25-30 mins from me.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 04:50
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How dog friendly is venice

Brohard is the only dog beach. Check the website I had furnished.

There are plenty of restaurants/shops that are dog friendly in the area.

Spanish Point in Osprey has something called Pups at the Point once a month, too.

www.historicspanishpoint..org

~SRQ

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How dog friendly is venice

The beach is dog friendly where you can run your pet leash free at Brohard. We have a small shi tzu and I found the grounds too dirty for her, the broken bark chips in the compound and the beach itself was not good for her. If you have a long legged large dog it is fine, but for a small dog this is not the place to take one. We did find many pet friendly hotels and restaurants. You can take your dog pretty much anywhere in Siesta Key/Sarasota. Being a small dog, we even took her in a shopping cart in different places. A lot of independent places in Sieseta Key Sarasota allowed us to do this. ps. make sure you do a treatment or have a flea collar as there are lots of sand fleas around.

7. Re: How dog friendly is venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Venice