We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

we have a trip scheduled for 8/18-23 and have an asthmatic daughter. Is it safe for her?

14 replies to this topic
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

As of today, the red tide hasn't made it past Anna Maria Island (well to the south of Treasure Island). In fact, a lot of people from AMI and areas south are headed up to Treasure Island to get AWAY from the red tide.

Keep checking on-line - a recent report said the red tide might make a "turn" at Tampa Bay and head south again.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

Follow the daily beach reports from Mote Marine Lab: visitbeaches.org

No one can predict the severity, duration or the direction of an algal bloom. Visit motemarine.org

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

Respiratory issues were reported in Pass A Grill today. That is not that far from treasure Island. I grew up as a teenager working on treasure Island and let me tell you it can get really bad there when it does hit that area. I really wish I could give you better advice as to whether it’s going to hit that way or not. If it does hit and you have an asthmatic child you will not be able to go outside he will have to stay in the air-conditioning. I’m hoping for you on your vacation that the area stays clear. Good luck

Canada
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

You are asking a bunch of strangers, none of which seem to have MD attached to their name if it is safe? Isn't this something that you should be discussing with your child's paediatrician?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
516 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

https:/…index.html

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

there was *one* report of respiratory issues -- I'd take those odds.

the conditions reported at www.visitbeaches.org indicate that the Pinellas County beaches are still clear, and that the southern beaches are at least lessening a bit. The red dots indicating an extreme outbreak are fading to orange with a few yellows, and the reports on visitbeaches are down to slight and moderate from heavy and severe.

No indication whatsoever if the trend will continue, but we can hope.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

mote.org/news/florida-red-tide#shell%20fish

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

nice reply.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 13:50
A M
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

The red tide is now affecting TI. There are dead fish along the beach and floating in the water. I can’t say how that would impact someone with asthma though.

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)

I’m currently in Treasure Island there are dead fish everywhere and the smell is terrible!!

Reply to: red tide in treasure island (asthma issues)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island