We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach without Spring breakers?

Appleton, Wi
Level Contributor
174 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Beach without Spring breakers?

Our family of 6 adults and 6 kids are spending the week prior to Easter in Orlando but we would like to drive out to the Bay for a day so the kids can all experience the ocean--knowing that it is spring break time I wonder if someone knows of a beach area that won't be consumed by 18-23 year olds acting stupid! Any info on that area would help, thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

If it is just a day trip, you may want to look at Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic coast. It is only an hour or so drive from Orlando.

Tampa doesn't have any beaches, but just West of Tampa on the gulf coast is Clearwater Beach, and St. Pete Beach/Treasure Island. These two beach areas are the larger, busier areas, but the smaller communities between them, are quieter, slower paced, and not as crowded. These small communities include Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Redington Shores, North Redington Beach, and Madeira Beach. The drive to these smaller beaches will be around 2.5 hours each way.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

If you are going to make the trip from Orlando to Tampa, I would suggest Fort DeSoto, there is so much to do there, and since its a natual park, there are no hotels, bars, traffic, etc. Beautiful beaches, picnic areas, biking and kayaking rentals, an old fort to discover.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

I would also suggest Ft DeSoto, beautiful beahes. SOme facilities and concessions in one are but mostly it is wide open beaches.

If you don't bring a picnic and want a stop, Billy's stone crab in Tierra verde is hand for ont he way in/out of the park back to Pinnellas baysay and the I275.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

Anywhere except Clearwater will be fine. Clearwater Beach has been super crowded this year. Everywhere else I have visited is pretty quiet. St. Pete Beach is super close to Tampa and usually pretty mellow. I saw it was rated the number one beach in the US on Trip Advisor this year! Happy Travels!

Edited: 29 March 2012, 22:57
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

Another good option just north of Clearwater Beach is Honeymoon Island. This is a state park (so you'll have to pay $8 for admission to the park) but typically is a even a little less crowded than Ft Desoto. Honeymoon island -http://www.floridastateparks.org/honeymoonisland/default.cfm is perfect for a long relaxing day at the beach, and there are even a few places on your way out to the park where you can rent kayaks, paddle boards, etc. The water is very calm, blue, and it's a great spot for recreational activities. There's also a snack bar/gift shop inside the park in case you need a bottle of water or if you forget your sunscreen. When you leave, you'll pass through Dunedin/Palm Harbor where you'll find plenty of local restaurants to have dinner at if you want.

My vote for a family would either be for Ft. Desoto or Honeymoon Island.

6. Re: Beach without Spring breakers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:43