We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multiple rental car reservations...

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
300 posts
219 reviews
Multiple rental car reservations...

Has anyone tried this? I have a Standard Class rental car reserved at Alamo TPA, car type says Buick Verano or similar. I also have a Premium Class rental reserved at the same time, car type is Nissan Maxima for only $80 more for the week. My plan is to wait until I get to the garage before deciding which one to take. Here's why, I'm NOT sure what a "standard" class rental car is and what vehicle I'm likely to end up with. On the other hand, I'm NOT sure what a "premium" vehicle is either. I'd be willing to spend the money for a truly "Premium" vehicle. I plan on doing the online check-in to avoid the counter and just walking to the vehicles. Then I can compare vehicle types and decide which one to take. Has anyone ever done something similar? How did it work out for you?

Tampa Bay CityPASS
25 Reviews
from USD 107.00*
St. Petersburg Private Sunset Cruise
28 Reviews
from USD 64.15*
Special Offer
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
33 Reviews
from USD 84.99*
USD 96.29
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
174 reviews
1. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

So the rental firm won't charge you for cancelling one of them at the last minute?

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

I wouldn't double book, the company may cancel one or both bookings. Call Alamo at the airport directly and ask them what the "similar" cars are if the Verano or Maxima are not available. Premium is not luxury, just a little sportier than the typical Verano type car.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
203 reviews
3. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

I would never double-book - I would be terrified I would be hit with a penalty, or worse (having to pay the full amount).

If you go to the websites for these car rental companies, they'll have pictures of the ACTUAL cars that are available (if they just have the names, do a "Google search" for pictures of those cars). Like BeachDay posted, premium is NOT luxury (you're not going to end up with a Mercedes or BMW). :-)

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
300 posts
219 reviews
4. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

Thanks. I cancelled both and reserved a full size car at a lower price. I wanted a full size rental anyway, but the prices were so much higher than the premium. Now that the price has dropped, I don't see the need for a premium. I have always been happy with my full size choices at Alamo, plenty of room, easy to install car seat, decent fuel economy. BTW...I always double book car rentals. Just not usually with the same company.

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
300 posts
219 reviews
5. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

Also...what's the difference between a "standard" and a "full size" rental? At MCO, these vehicles are interchangeable because there is no "standard" aisle.

6. Re: Multiple rental car reservations...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2018, 14:17