We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Tampa

Chicago
Level Contributor
519 posts
47 reviews
Weekend in Tampa

Looking for shopping and restaurants in Tampa while my son is at the University of Tampa for the weekend. I am staying at the Westin Tampa Bay and will have a car. I would like to find some quaint neighborhoods for shopping, browsing and lunch and maybe a few low key, but really good restaurants for dinners; great American or Italian food, Spanish or Mexican too. Prefer to stay away from big name stores or restaurants, chains...I'm from Chicago and get all that at home. I've only been to Tampa once and that was for Busch Gardens. I have spent more time in Clearwater and St. Pete, so prefer to stick to Tampa, maybe around UT.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
1. Re: Weekend in Tampa

Go to the area of Tampa called Ybor City. Eat at the famous Columbia restaurant or at the Greek Acropolis. There is also a small shopping center in Ybor called Centro Ybor.

There's also the area called Hyde Park (upscale) with shops and restaurants.

Google them for details.

Tampa, Florida
4 posts
2. Re: Weekend in Tampa

Definitely visit Hyde Park Village for more local shopping and restaurants. Ybor City as mentioned above can be good during the day. Seminole Heights is another area close to UT that has restaurants and a few local shops.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
133 reviews
3. Re: Weekend in Tampa

Great Mexican food at Miguel's, a little more upscale or their sister restaurant Miguelito's which specializes in more street style tacos with a modern atmosphere. Both are ok Kennedy maybe 15 minutes from where you're staying.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Weekend in Tampa

Eh.... coming from Chicago.... I don't know! lol. Tampa is very low key. I personally don't find a decent restaurant or shopping scene in Tampa. There are other things to love, lol. I recommend The Florida Aquarium or Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo or one of the local museums. I particularly love Tampa's zoo for the Florida wildlife and the Florida landscaping.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend.... would love for you to come back and tell us where you explored. It's all about the local beaches, if you ask me! Enjoy.

5. Re: Weekend in Tampa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2018, 14:17