We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for car rentals for a week?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
220 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for car rentals for a week?

I'm a little shocked at the price of weekly car (modest - compact/economy) looking via Kayak and through AAA. Is there a trick I am missing? I am staying at a hotel with a shuttle from the airport coming and going, and was going to pick up and drop off car from hotel, and I guess cab back to airport. Is it just that expensive in florida in the summer?

I do need a car at least some of that time as I will be visiting friends outside of the area for part of the trip.

Your car rental tips are appreciated!

Tampa Bay CityPASS
24 Reviews
from USD 107.00*
Tampa TRIO Pass with Attractions...
1 Review
from USD 64.50*
Special Offer
Aquatica Orlando
11 Reviews
from USD 53.99*
USD 69.22
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for car rentals for a week?

Even tho you are visiting Tampa you might try researching or reposting this on the Orlando forum. Many visitors use that forum and can usually help. The one thing I can think of is are they trying to give you the Sun Pass toll program? I would ask on this forum where the cashless tolls are on the gulf coast. I think there is only 1 in that area. Most of Florida you can pay cash at the tolls except Miami which is almost all cashless and you have to have Sun Pass. Just an FYI, if visiting for the beaches, Tampa is a good 45 minutes to the nearest beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for car rentals for a week?

You can look at the MAJOR car rental companies that have an off airport site location as well as on site. It will save some money on the extra fees. There are many, many complaints about rentals that are not the major car rental companies. AAA, Costco, company/corporate discounts, military, all offer lower rates. DO NOT pay for sunpass, there is a big push from the car companies to have you sign up for the toll plate. They frighten people with stories of tolls being only cashless. This is not true. There are only 2 cashless toll roads in the Tampa area and you will not be on them.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
3. Re: Suggestions for car rentals for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2018, 15:17