We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Sarasota area

Poughkeesie, ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Visiting Sarasota area

Hi my wife and I will be staying with my mother-in-law in Parish, Fl for a few weeks. I'm trying to plan a trip from June 28th to June 30th. I'm not sure where to go. We previously went to Siesta Key for a day a few years back and it was very nice. We would obviously like to be close to the beach and go there for a few hours a day. We will be without our kids...thank God, so we just want to have fun. Beach bars, art galleries , and activities are welcome. I guess we'd like a mix of relaxing and possible activities. Whats the best place for this? Also, not sure if we will need to rent a car or is there enough to do where we wouldn't need one. Thank you for your input!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,145 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

Have a look at Lido Key (just off DT sarasota, and Anna maria island (look in Bradenton beach somewhere like Torutga or Silver surf).

In Lido I stayed at the HI and it was walkable to St Armands circle (we even walked as far as Mote/The old salty dog). On Anna Maria, in the BB area there is alots to walk to, and a free trolley to get to the other areas. AMI has more beachfront beach bars/restaurants and lots of places have live music.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

Siesta Key is a lowkey place, with bars and restaurants, as you likely already know. Lido or Longboat Keys also are options, as is Anna Maria. Sanibel and Captiva also come to mind, more for the beaches and shelling than for bars. It really depends on what you want.

I love Captiva....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,145 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

They said theyd already been to Siesta Key, which is why I didnt recommend it.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

Sarasota is the perfect destination for what you want to do! St. Armand's Circle and Lido Key are great because they do not get as crowded as Siesta Key does, however the beaches on Siesta Key are far superior to the beach at Lido Key off of the Circle. Also, Siesta has a lot of good areas to lay low (bars, ice cream shops, etc.) while staying near the beach, and I feel like the St. Armand's area does not have as many of these. The last area I would advise you to consider is Bradenton Beach/Holmes Beach/Anna Maria Island. This area is also very good in terms of the quality of beaches, laying low, and just having fun. Traffic coming in and out of the Island is insane, so that is one drawback. It is Summer now, though, so everywhere is less crowded than in the Winter.

I would definitely rent a car no matter what. Public transportation here is not great, unless you love long bus rides!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,295 posts
179 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

If you want beach bars, a trolley and some fun places, I would recommend Anna Maria Island.

You can post on that forum.

How much did you want to spend per night for lodging? that would help to give you options.

Lido Key/ St. Armands is more upscale and close to Sarasota for activities...no beach bars there or on Siesta Key.

How do you plan to get to any of these places from Parrish without a car?

www.visitsarasota.org

~SRQgirl

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,145 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

I thought there were 2 tiki bars on/overlooking the beach on Lido?

Poughkeesie, ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
7. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

Thanks for your response. I was thinking 100 to 200 per night. I was also thinking of my mother-in-law dropping us off somewhere if we didn't need transportation.

8. Re: Visiting Sarasota area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2017, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota
Recent Conversations