We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Comparison

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Island Comparison

We love Sanibel and have spent many vacations on this little piece of heaven.

Our friends we travel with want to try a new place this year. They are wanting to visit Anna Maria Island or St George Island. If anyone on the forum has visited these islands I would really appreciate a comparison of them to Sanibel.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
St. George Island
St. George Island
Florida Panhandle, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Comparison

Hi Captivasunset,

If you haven't already, do a search for Anna Maria Island on this Sanibel Forum to get you started. The comparision question comes up frequently! I haven't been to Anna Maria, yet!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
MO
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Comparison

CaptiviaSunset

I have been visiting Sanibel for the past 11yrs. A freind of mine has a condo up on Anna Maria. I went once and was a little disappointed. You can not compare it to Sanibel. It never felt like I was on an island. The beaches were fine and I found some shells. It is slow paced like Sanibel. The restaurants we went to were good and the shopping was okay. THe entire time I was there I wished we were in Sanibel.

Suntravelgirl

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Comparison

We have been to both Anna Maria and St.George Island.Anna Maria reminds me of Captiva but larger.

St.George is a barrior island in every sense of the word.St.George doesn't have much vegetation,but that is because of the type of barrior island it is.It is for truly kicking back and doing nothing,just because there is nothing to do.You would have to go to Apalachicola(sp?) or Eastpoint for anything to do.And they both have plenty to do,mind you(including fabulous restaurants-try Carolines).St. George does have restaurants,but no groceries,like Publix or such.Just small stores.It has great little shops,tho.St.George does have a forum on TA.Try there.

Comparing any of those islands to Sanibel or Captiva is like comparing apples to oranges.It is what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
St. George Island
St. George Island
Florida Panhandle, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Apalachicola
Apalachicola
Florida Panhandle, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
iowa
Level Contributor
265 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Comparison

I went to Anna Maria Island a few years ago, and thought the beach was nice, not many shells, but nice beach. The island itself is no where as nice as Sanibel in my opinion there is no comparison. Sanibel is so clean and not to be mean, but AMI felt kind of junkie.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
5. Re: Island Comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 19:23