We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

I just can't decide between the three for our first family (boy & girl ages 4 and 9)trip to Sanibel. Must haves - super clean large room, comfy beds, nice pool with bar & grill located right on a beautiful beach. Restaurant or breakfast on site would be a plus. So would beach chairs & umbrellas. My mother will be traveling with us too so we'd like to keep the walking to a minimum. I've looked into condos and resorts and narrowed it down to these three based on price and amenities. I'd love to get the opinions of those who have been to these places so I can finally make a decision!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

All three are good choices and have good reviews. Since you stated you would like less walking for your mum, I would suggest Sanibel Inn or West Wind - Tween waters is across a busy street from a gorgeous beach.

Between Sanibel Inn and West Wind - a draw, really. Sanibel Inn is on the East end, the area is more populated and so the beach becomes more crowded. West Wind is quieter and less populated.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Thanks, sunnyvaca you mention some good points. I guess that leaves the room and pool area to consider. Is there a considerable difference between Sanibel Inn and West Wind as far as which has the nicer accomodations and pool area?

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
594 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Haven't stayed at Sanibel Inn, but have stayed 3 different times at West Wind. Rooms are not fancy, but were clean and comfortable. The first two years we ate breakfast daily at the on-site restaurant, but after discovering Amy's Over Easy Cafe we went there each day. If I remember correctly, West Wind also had a little bar area at the pool where you could get lunch items, although they might not be to the taste of children as young as yours. This year we will be staying in a condo, because hotels during the high season were just too expensive for us. West Wind is always rated highly on this site, and we were always pleased with our stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Over Easy Cafe
Over Easy Cafe
2,893 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Thanks AnnfromKY for your input. If anyone has been to both West Wind and Sanibel and would like to put their two cents in I'd love to hear it. Still on the fence!

Mentioned in this post
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

I haven't stayed at both ... just West Wind Inn, which I absolutely love. We're in our sixties, have stayed at everything from 5* to budget places over the years, and West Wind Inn is one of our very favorite places. The rooms are roomy and very nice, IMMACULATE, the staff so friendly, the pool big enough and IMMACULATE with good food available there, wonderful shelling on the beach. I could live there ... really could!

Mentioned in this post
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

I've only stayed at West Wind - 5 times - so I'm slightly biased. I find it to be perfect - suitable for both families, couples and singles. The rooms are bright and tastefully decorated and I would take the option of a Kitchenette if you could - gives you cooking facilities - even for the odd piece of toast it's useful.

The pool area is beautiful, well maintained and family friendly and the pool bar is excellent. Good for drinks and lunch from 11-2, has live music sometimes and the bar staff are really friendly. Have only used the on site restaurant once but it was good.

The staff at the West Wind are lovely - have been there since we started visiting and I get the feeling they may have been there for years. Not sure if it is family run but it kind of feels that way.

I also prefer to be on the gulf side of the Island as it seems more peaceful but I'm not sure if that's down to the time (early Jan) when we stay or if that is typical.

Mentioned in this post
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Wow, such glowing reviews for West Wind, it really is a favorite of so many on this forum. Thanks for your posts they are really giving me something to think about. Let's see if there are any Sanibel Inn fans with something to add..

Mentioned in this post
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

Hi

I am also a fan of West Wind have stayed there 3 times 2 min walk to the beach good restaurant the staff are great you do have to hire you chairs and umbrellas to use on the beach but we just bought some from a store on the island which worked out cheaper than 2 weeks hire.

Mentioned in this post
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,122 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
des plaines, IL
Level Contributor
322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

In regards to Sanibel Inn -2 words - LOVE IT! I stayed there 2 years ago and had a beach front room. The walk to the water was 1 minute. I really liked the resort. I liked the location, loved the beach, thought the staff was wonderful. Beautiful sunrises from that beach. Nice pool, not real super large, but the resort was not real crowded at the time. I don't spend much time at the pool anyway, I like the beachfront. Poolside bar also. I liked the layout of this resort. Ellingtons restaurant is there if you are looking for a nice place for a special dinner.

Flat screen tvs. Free bikes. Internet service, clean room, nice bathroom, microwave, screened porch. What's not to like?? I am ready to go back!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel Inn or West Wind or Tween Waters

I appreciate all the replies. I'm still up in the air but I'm thinking that the 2 bedroom "Sanibel Residence" at the Sanibel Inn would be a good value since it would be cheaper than getting 2 rooms. Has anybody stayed in one?

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL