We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

Fairport Harbor...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Topic
Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

Looking to plan a fun day trip to St. Pete, and looking for a few suggestions on places to go.

Here is what I have so far:

Arrive 8-8:30 AM

Run through Vinoy Park north of town, then back through the Old Northeast. Stop and see the Sunken Gardens by coming back via Old Northeast.

10ish Get a snack and walk around at the Saturday Market/Downtown/Baywalk

12ish Lunch somewhere in Grand Central Area (is it easy to see the Trolleys that pass by? Debating between Pom Pom's/Taco Bus/Urban BBQ/Nitally's/Queenshead, which is best?)

1ish Do some shopping in the area (ArtPool, Haslam's, anywhere else?)

2 Stop for ice cream at Tropiccool

3 See St. Petersburg MFA (we have already seen Dali and Chihuly)

5 Dinner somewhere good but not too expensive downtown?

Any help filling this in further would be appreciated. Also, two questions, are they allowing fishing on the Pier, and are there any things to do downtown in the evening apart from bars? (like shows and things)

Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

You have a good choice of restaurants along Beach Drive, opposite the park. Pick one that you like.

I see people fishing from the pier, but keep in mind that part of the pier has been closed for demolition. Not sure if you need a fishing licence or not. There is a large movie complex (Muvico) at the old Baywalk location, or see if there is anything playing at the Mahaffy theatre..

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

You have too much in your am schedule. Sunken Gardens do not open until 10am. Would suggest a walk around Vinoy Park, then the market, then drive through Old Northeast to Sunken Gardens. Lunch at either Nitally's or Taco Bus. For some sightseeing and shopping I copied a link from the St. Petersburg Tribune describing the Warehouse Arts District. tbo.com/pinellas-county/… I think that with your limited time you may want to skip Baywalk, it is just a shopping area, nothing special and all of the stores are not yet rented. If you like burgers, try Engine No. 9, Cassis on Beach Drive is wonderful with indoor or outdoor dining, but it is very pricey. We love the Acropolis on Central Ave., across from the Holocaust museum. The menu is large and very reasonable. We like to sit upstairs on the outside balcony. You need a license for fishing and I don't think you have enought time for this. The following is a link to St. Pete/Clearwater Attractions that list dining, entertainment, recreation and theater guides.

Fairport Harbor...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

That's really good to know regarding Sunken Gardens! I have been impressed in general each time I have been there, the fact they are continuing to utilize their Warehouse District impresses me even more. I also really appreciate you sharing those links with me, will definitely put them to full use. I know that St. Pete in general has been considered a bastion for older architecture in the state of Florida, any particularly good ones I should see? (apart from some downtown Art Deco, the Renaissance Vinoy, and the houses of Old Northeast/Kenwood?)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

FYI...the Vinoy offers a guided tour, either with or without lunch. (The tour with lunch is the best deal I have seen in a long time. The lunch ends up at about 1/2 the menu price)

marriott.com/hotel-info/…tours.mi

Call the hotel's navigator desk to reserve.

And yes, I also think your planned schedule is a bit over-ambitious.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

Here are some links for historic buildings: …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Florida.

Fairport Harbor...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

That tour looks awesome, sounds like a fantastic deal! I probably was a bit overambitious but I do just want to make sure we make the most of our time.. Perhaps two seperate trips and itineraries would be in order.. I will look at which things look particularly good for each time, perhaps I will save Kenwood/Old Northeast/Farmers Market as one trip and have Run/Vinoy/MFA as the other trip. Thank you again for your suggestions!

7. Re: Must see shops/attractions for an ideal day in St. Pete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg