We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

lancs
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Hi, looking for some advice, it's my 60th in December and myself and my wife are looking to come over for a month over christmas and New Year. We don't know this area at all, but fancied a change from South Beach. Can anyone recommend the best part of town to stay, we're looking to rent a condo near the beach but reasonably close to restaurants, bars and shops, so that we don't need to do too much driving. Any help with recommendations for condos, looking to Pay between $1300 & $2000 for the month, is this realistic? Maybe you could recommend another resort that may suit better? any help much appreciated.

Thanks DSP

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Don't limit yourself to the St. Pete area. Consider the entire barrier island from Clearwater Beach all the way south to St. Pete Beach. That includes Bellair Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Reddington Shores, Reddington Beach, Madeira Beach, and Treasure Island.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

I don't think you'll find much of anything on the barrier islands at that price point. Check out the town of South Pasadena. It is next to St Petersburg and just over the causeway from St Pete Beach, and has, literally, thousands of condos. Many of the condos belong to snowbirds who don't arrive til after the holidays, so they may be looking to rent for the month of December.

Maybe take a look at www.vrbo.com

lancs
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Thanks, AhHah & Maya58 for the tips, sounds like I need to do alot more research on this area before settling just for St Pete's. May look at doing a two centre trip so I can take in some of the resorts that make up the Barrier Island. Which of the resorts would you say have the best to offer in terms of Restaurants, bars & shopping in a central area that is close by the beach and is accessible from Apartments/Hotels/Condo's within walking distance. looking for resorts where I don't need to drive at night?.

Thanks Again for your help

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

The busiest beach areas with lots of restaurants, bars, etc. will be Clearwater Beach, St Pete Beach, Treasure Island, and Madeira Beach, in descending order of "busy-ness". Clearwater Beach is the most walkable of the four. SPB, TI and MB have some very compact, easily walkable sections, and some sections that are slightly more isolated. If you think you've found something that will work for you in those communities, just check back here and we can let you know if it's conveniently located!

I don't think the small towns on Sand Key (Bellair, Indian Shores, Redington) would suit your needs for having lots of things nearby.

Just to try to help a bit with the geography of the area - St Petersburg does not have any nice Gulf beaches. It is on Tampa Bay, not the Gulf of Mexico. And there is not just one barrier island - there is a string of them, starting at the south with Long Key (where SPB is located), Treasure Island (which actually is an island), Sand Key, and Clearwater Beach. Try googling up a map of Pinellas County, FL to get a clear idea of what's where. :-)

lancs
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Thanks Maya58, all good information. I've got the flights booked now so I will start planning an itinery seriously now. No doubt I'll be coming back here time and time again over the coming months for info. till we get it fully sorted.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

DaveSp

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

indian shores /beach and reddington, have quite a lot of condos, mostly beachside, however, not much in the way of walkable places to eat mad beach has john,s pass so plenty to eat places there... there are a few condos in treasure island, really well appointed too maybe worth a look, since your spending a month there, maybe something off the beach, but near the inlets, plenty on water ....

lancs
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Cheers Tony7, thanks for your input, it all helps. now thinking of 2 centre. Fort Myers area for 2 weeks then back up to St Pete's for 2 weeks. Have already got a price of $2300 if we want a month at St. Pete's, that's for a small codo in the WAVES complex. Seems to be near to all thats going on in St. Pete's?

Does anyone know if the trolley bus go into St. Petersburg from the beach area?

Thanks again

DaveSp

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

No probs, Dave, not sure about trolley as have always had a car, maybe a local DE could advise, I think you will fall under the siren, s spell of the gulf coast mind, she has a habit of calling you back very often!!! Anymore info just ask , enjoy your trip my friend .....

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

The Waves Condo is quite centrally located about a 5-7 minute walk from the beach, and a couple blocks from numerous waterfront restaurants and bars. It is also a very short walk to a trolley stop. The Central Ave Trolley goes all the way to the St Pete Pier downtown.

www.psta.net/CAT.php

lancs
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Petersburg for a month December 2012

Hi there Maya58, Tony7 & AhHah, I'm now back on the case after booking a couple of weeks in Fort Myers to begin the holiday we're now concentrating on St Pete Beach for my final 2 weeks. Got options of Condo's in Gulf Gate Resort & Sunrise Resort as well as Waves, Waves are the cheapest about $1150 but condo's don't seem to have Balconies, dearest is Sunrise at $1850 for 2 weeks, Gulf gate about $1450, can anyone recommend any other places we should consider?? and do these prices sound reasonable?? any advice would be good.

Thanks for sticking with me on this

Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg