We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to the Rays on game days

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi there, can you help?

I need to know the best way to get to Tropicana Field from St Pete Beach avoiding Taxis and driving.

Thanks in advance to everyone that takes the time to respond.

Colin

wrexham
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi colin

We stayed at the hampton inn & suites in st pete last year and we walked to the stadium in about 30 mins at a steady pace.we went to see the rays v the new york yankees and the experience was fantastic,the stadium is amazing and the atmosphere is great.i beleive that there are free shuttle buses that run from various points in st petes so i guess your hotel could tell you where they are.it was late when the game finished as i think it went to ten or eleven innings ( rays won 1-0 ) so we got a taxi back to the hotel and it cost us $10.

Nigel

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi Colin,

Walking to the stadium isn't really a viable option from SPB. The city bus system can get you there, but it would involve transfers and, most likely, lots of time. I have never taken the bus, so can't help with routes, but here is the schedule. The website has a Trip Planner to help you figure out your route.

www.psta.net

Also, check out www.freebeachride.com

Go Rays!

Edited: 02 August 2011, 07:26
London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi - I asked the same question on the St Pete forum back in March and I got this reply (not sure where you are staying in St Pete though)

The way my 11 year old does it is as follows:

Beach Trolley from Trade Winds to 75th Ave Bus shelter then Number 35 Bus to "Grand Central" then Central Ave Shuttle to 8th and walk south 5 blocks.

Total return trip cost $4.00 trip run time about an hour.

Experience of riding the bus through the south part of St. Peterbsurg, Priceless!

Yet to try it - think we might get a cab there and try the bus home.

Have fun - Go Rays!!!!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

HI UKTraveller,

Maybe I'm dense, but the above directions don't make sense to me at all. I admit to knowing nothing about the public bus system, but the last part - "Central Ave to 8th and walk south 5 blocks" most definitely does not get you to Tropicana Field. In fact, walking five blocks south of the intersection of Central Ave and 8th St takes you to the edge of a somewhat unsavory part of St Pete.

I would suggest that you seek further clarification. I do wish that I could be of more help regarding bus routes, but I just don't know anything about it :(

London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Oh Gosh - thanks for that Maya - will check the route on the link you gave. MIght get a cab both ways! Will there be plenty of cabs outside the stadium after the game? We are going on labor day.

Colin - sorry for the confusion.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

To use the Trip Planner on the PSTA site, use "75th Ave St Pete Beach" as your starting point. That is where the St Pete city bus system intersects with the Beach Trolley route. To get to the 75th Ave bus stop, you can use the Beach Trolley, the Free Beach Ride service, or simply walk up Gulf Blvd, depending where you are staying.

There will be plenty of cabs available after the game. I think that average cab fare between most parts of SPB and Tropicana Field is about $18.

London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Thanks very much for your help. Will do a trip report when we come back. We are so looking forward to seeing our first baseball game and of course sampling the "dogs and beer"!

sCOTLAND
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi Maya,

Can I clarify your concern with Central & 8th - 5 blocks South, so far as I can see this does indeed take you pretty much exactly to the Rays Car Park kiosk? (at 3rd & Dr Martin Luther)

Are you saying that area (3rd Street & straight down toward University Park) is an area to avoid?

I ask because it looks a pretty straight forward walk up 3rd Street from the trolley to the Trop.

Thanks.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

UK Traveller,

If you travel by bus to the game, ask the driver to leave you off at Ferg's (13th Street and Central Avenue) This is a great place to be before the game and easy to walk over to the Tropicana.

After the game I would definitely take a taxi back to the beaches.

Personally I am not a fan of the Grand Central Bus Terminal where you have to transfer back to the beach bus, it is really in the middle of nowhere.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 03:00
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to the Rays on game days

Hi there:

If you are staying in downtown St. Pete, there is a free shuttle through the Downtown Looper system...you can pick it up in a few locations. For more on it, check out: www.loopertrolley.com

Enjoy your trip!

Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg