We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach access?

4 posts
Save Topic
Best beach access?

Hi there, my husband and I are going to be visiting St. Petersburg next week, and I'm trying to figure out what our best bets are for going to the beach. We're staying in the city of St. Petersburg and renting a car, so we will be driving. I'm looking for public access points that have chair/umbrella rentals available and bathroom facilities, and hopefully a beach restaurant or bar, although I'm not sure how common that is in the area.

Googling has given me conflicting answers, so I thought I'd try here! Any thoughts are appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach access?

If you are planning on visiting the beach more than once, I would suggest that you purchase an umbrella and 2 beach chairs, (about $13 and $10 per chair), at the local Publix on Gulf Blvd, (Dolphin Shopping Plaza).

The most souther section of St. Pete Beach is Pass a Grille, (when you go over the Pinellas Bayway, you turn left at the Don Cesar Hotel. best-of-st-pete-beach.com/pass-a-g e.html This is a lovely area with quaint shops and restaurants. The Paradise Grille is set on the beach and is a great place for lunch, around 10th ave. Further north on Pass a Grille there is a bathroom and changing facility, (around 16th ave.). There is beach access all along Gulf Way in Pass a Grille, metered parking spaces.

If you were to turn north, (right), when you reach the Don at the end of Pinellas Bayway, that begins the main section of St. Pete Beach. There is no street parking available on this section. There is a public parking, (county), lot with pay parking, bathrooms, umbrella rentals on Gulf Blvd. across from Dolphin Plaza, (where Publix is located, DO NOT PARK in the shopping parking lot, A-1 tows cars aggressively). You can purchase drinks, sandwiches, as well as chairs and umbrellas etc. from Publix to bring to the beach. Publix, CVS, (also in the Dolphin shopping plaza and Walgreens are the least expensive places to purchase beach equipment).

At the northern end of the beach is Upham Beach, there is pay parking, beach concession for snacks, bathrooms and rentals. The parking area is VERY small and there has been an ongoing beach protection project immediately north of there with heavy construction equipment.

Along Gulf Blvd, there are several places for public access, but no parking.

I live along the beach, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me or post.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach access?

Other places to eat- in Dolphin Plaza, our favorite Italian restaurant is Buona, sit outside in the back. Homemade pasta, sauce, food. Everything from Pizza to Osso Bucco. Very reasonably priced, huge portions. South of Dolphin Plaza, on Gulf Blvd and also across the street from the beach parking is Sea Turtle Restaurant, open for lunch everyday except Mon/closed, and dinner I think is only Thurs-Sat. They are also reasonable, homemade and large portions. Directly behind the Sea Turtle is the Drunken Clam, a local hangout, great wings.

Reply to: Best beach access?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg