We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Florida trip

NW Iowa
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First Florida trip

Looking for a resort right on the beach and within walking distance to some good restaurants. And where do you fly into ? Also need airport to resort transportation options.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Florida trip

Allegiant Airways will fly you direct from Cedar Rapids to St. Pete/Clearwater (PIE), otherwise, your need to fly into nearbyTampa. Airport to hotel via taxi or Supershuttle (they have a website). Your resorts are listed on the right hand side of the page.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Florida trip

Hotels are listed in the left hand column here.

Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Florida trip

Check out allegiantair.com. Try Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Moline, Illinois. I found Moline to be cheaper for when we are going. Fly into PIE and take a cab or rent a car.

I would recommend staying in Madeira Beach or Treasure Island if you like to have a drink on the beach because it is illegal every where else. If not, then stay anywhere.

We are staying at the Bilmar in April, but there are tons of great places to stay on the beach. Just check out this websites recommendations.

EDIT: When looking at allegiant air, I wouldn't pay for the assigned seating or to check a bag. My wife and I flew last year and we were still able to sit by each other.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 13:26
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Florida trip

Any hotel in the 5000 or 6000 block of Gulf Blvd will be walking distance to many restaurants, shops, and even a grocery store. I've stayed twice at the Beachcomber hotel, and never missed not having a car. If you want to go further out, the bus system is reliable, and there's also a free shuttle service (you tip the person) called Free Beach Ride which is another option.

As for getting to/from the airport, I used Super Shuttle both times, and they offered fine service. Some people have said they've had to wait a long time for the pick up at the airport, but I haven't had an issue as of yet.

Oskaloosa, Iowa
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Florida trip

We are a family of 8 (also from Iowa) going back down to Treasure Island. We stay at South Beach Condos (Surf Beach Condos is the same setup). Close to a supermarket and the trolley is great! The trolley has stops all up and down St. Pete's Beach and is really inexpensive.

We also stayed at Tradewinds Grand (BEAUTIFUL) but it was a small hotel room for more than the condo and no gulf view. We prefer the condo because it is like being in an apartment, they all have gulf views (higher rooms are best). I think you'll like it. I fly Allegiant because it is non-stop for us. If you're in the NW section of Iowa, maybe one of the surrounding states would have an airport that Allegiant services. We've used the Super Shuttle to get down to the condo. Was extremely easy to get to and from airport to the condo and vice versa. Enjoy your trip!

Oskaloosa, Iowa
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Florida trip

Agree with the choice not to pay for the extras through Allegiant! We used to but found since we get to the airport early we have always been able to sit by each other because we ask for seat assignments at that time.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
91 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Florida trip

We are from SFalls and are going in 3 weeks. We are flying Allegiant Air out of Sfalls in to Sanford, Fl (1/2 hour north of Orlando). We'll then drive the 2 hours to Tampa. Flying out of SFalls on other airlines to Tampa was just too expensive and driving to Omaha wasn't any better, so decided on the Allegiant option even tho we'll have to drive once we get to Florida. We did book seats (on Allegiant) just cuz there is 4 of us so we get where we want on the plane.

We are staying in Treasure Island at the Thunderbird Beach Resort. Appears like there are plenty of walkable restaurants in the area. We also were considering the Bilmar in Treasure Island. I can let you know how the area is (in Treasure Island) when we get back.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Florida trip

Ljklsgram, do you remember what room category you stayed in at the Tradewind Island Grand? We are a family o f 5, booked a 1 bedroom suite...wondering if we need bigger!?!?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Florida trip

KMom, the 1 bedroom suites in the TradeWinds IG (at least, the ones I have seen) have 2 double or queen beds in the bedroom, and a pull-out sofa in the living area, so there's enough sleeping space for 6. Our friends put their 3 kids in the bedroom, and slept on the pull-out so they could stay up later than the kids. lol

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Florida trip

Sounds good for us..thanks!

Get answers to your questions about St. Pete Beach