We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach or Old town?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Topic
Beach or Old town?

Going to St Augustine for a week at New Year... Can't decide whether it would be better to stay at the beach or in the town... Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
75 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach or Old town?

I personally like Old Town. There is a lot to do and town is really pretty at night. Very walkable and many restaurants.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,461 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach or Old town?

Stay in the historic district. There is so much to see & do there.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach or Old town?

I agree with the others, stay in the Historic District. I'm sure you will have a car so you can drive to the beach very easily.....if it's warm enough!! There is masses to see and do in St Augustine.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach or Old town?

It all depends on your likes. I myself would prefer the beach. We are staying by Marineland and driving into St Augustine see the sights. We enjoy getting away from the hustle and bussle and walking the beach at sunset and the peace and quite.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach or Old town?

Another vote for the beach, specifically Vilano. It's a sleepy little beach village and is a only a ten minute drive to the historic district. But as someone else mentioned, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to be in the midst of all the tourist sites, stay in the historic district. Really can't go wrong either way.

Mentioned in this post
Vilano Beach
Vilano Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Monmouth Beach, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach or Old town?

If you'd like to be on the beach, but away from the hustle and bustle, you can try the Crescent Beach area. Only a couple of minutes to Matanzas Inlet, which is one of the prettiest of Florida settings as well as a teriffic fishing spot. But Old Town is great too! Better flip a coin. Whichever you choose, its not a bad drive one way or the other.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent Beach
Crescent Beach
871 Reviews
Siesta Key, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Rochester, Minnesota
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach or Old town?

The Old Town is wonderful both during the day or at night, but it is hard to beat the miles of perfect beach on Anastasia island especially at sunrise. The old town is only 10 minutes away. For me it seems easier to stay at the beach and drive downtown than to be downtown and have to pack up the beach things and drive to the beach and unpack at the beach. You cant go wrong either way.

Mentioned in this post
Anastasia Island
Anastasia Island
29 Reviews
Florida
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach or Old town?

Stay in town and drive to the beach. It is very cold that time of year and you won't be able to enjoy the beach much anyhow. They do have an awesome New Year's Eve celebration at the St. John's County Pier complete with live bands, food, drinks, and fireworks. There is free transport from Old Town to the celebration, I believe.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach or Old town?

I completely agree with Keiardi. Weather could be pleasant enough for a stroll along the beach that time of year, but could also be quite cool and damp. I love the beaches there but you would be much better off staying in Old Town, where there is lots of good walking and which is decorated very nicely that time of year. Also, parking in Old Town can be brutal, so it will help to stay at a place with parking, whereas if you drive to the beach on a pleasant day parking is plentiful. Enjoy!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
453 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach or Old town?

It also makes a difference if there are children in your party. Hauling all that beach stuff from town gets old. But both areas are great!

Get answers to your questions about Saint Augustine Beach
Recent Conversations