We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned!

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Just returned!

Where to start?? We stayed at Jake's for 3 nights before we headed to Negril. Two things...first, 3 nights wasn't near long enough, especially considering the drive from MoBay and, second, I'm not sure if we'll ever go back to Negril!

Jake's and Treasure Beach was absolutely everything we hoped it would be. The laid back atmosphere was perfect for me (hubby would have liked a little more action LOL). We've been to Jamaica 13 times and the people are what keep us coming back, but the people of TB were so much friendlier than even the nicest people we've met!

Why it took us so long to experience this part of the island is beyond me but, we will definitely be back.

Considering what we normally pay to stay at one of the all-inclusive resorts in Negril, TB/Jake's was a bargain!

We only ventured off property once and that was to have breakfast at Smurfs. It was delicious and, again, the people were so friendly. I saw someone mention MacGuyver in another post, and he was there playing his guitar the morning we went.

We had our driver, Ashton Pitt, stop shortly after we left the airport to exchange money and get some beer and snacks to take with us. That was an interesting experience!

I've posted a full review of Jake's with pics but, if anyone has specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Thank you to everyone who gave me tips and advice prior to our trip.

15 replies to this topic
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Just returned!

This is how it starts.....

So glad you had a good time! you'll be back, it sounds like :D

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Just returned!

Just read your review - technically Jack Sprat is also off property :)

Next time you can check the sports park, frenchmans and eggys, maybe ride out to great bay....now that you see how easy it is to move about there.

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Just returned!

Liz - yes, I guess technically, we did venture off property more than once since we went to Jack Sprat a couple of times LOL. Since we could walk through the grounds of Jake's to Jack Sprat, it didn't seem off property!

The day we went to Smurf's, we did go to the beach where Eggy's is located (Frenchman's??) and walked and took some pics. Of course Eggy's wasn't open since it was early, but I can see how it would be a great place to chill for a while.

I loved how easy it was to walk around the area and would have explored more if we had been there longer.

We will definitely be back!

North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
164 reviews
4. Re: Just returned!

Thank you for sharing. How long is the drive from the airport?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Just returned!

The shortest drive to Treasure Beach is the inland route that takes about 2.5 hours.

If you decide on the coastal route via Negril, the drive time is 3.5 hours.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
274 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Just returned!

I agree with OLiz - That is how it starts! We used to split time between Negril and Jakes - for the last 8-9 years we have rented a villa for 9 days in TB.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Just returned!

Pretty drive too, along the north coast a bit then through the mountains and then along the south. Lots of pretty views and opportunities to stop - Border Jerk, Scott's Cove.

No reason to go through Negril at all, that's out of the way. Unless you get very easily carsick on curves, but that can be an issue with the later part of the Negril route anyway.

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Just returned!

Our drive took right at 2 hours. Our driver said his goal was to save us 45 minutes by taking a "short cut" through parts of Jamaica that tourists don't see! He wasn't kidding! That drive was one of the most harrowing we've ever had in Jamaica. We told him next time, please don't save us any time, we'd rather take longer and not feel like we were going to die LOL

The drive from TB to Negril was much better!!

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: Just returned!

Rumghoul, where in TB is the villa you rent located? We loved Jake's but, I'm considering a villa next trip. I still want to be centrally located though, which is one of the things I loved about Jake's.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,986 posts
1 review
10. Re: Just returned!

When I first started traveling to Jamaica I would always go to Negril combined with one new location. Before I had my bushbaby I was fortunate enough to have two plus weeks for each trip 2xs a yr so moving around was great.

While I've been a few times I've yet to go to the Calabash Festival which is definitely on my list.

Glad you enjoyed TB

PEACE!

Reply to: Just returned!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Elizabeth Parish