We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George island vacation cancellations

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
St George island vacation cancellations

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a refund from an unwilling vacation rental company? We are leaving on Thurs. for a 950 mile drive to St Geo island. Company says "no oil yet" so NO refund. I really do not want to make the trip if there is no beach. Trip insurance does not cover this!

TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

We are having the same problem. I am anxious to see any responses.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

I think the problem is that they don't know yet. There is much uncertainty out there and I think these rental companies are terrified of how this is going to affect business. They're not willing to make any concessions at this point because there is no oil and no way of knowing when and if it's going to be there. The other thing they're probably going to argue is that you can still stay at the resort even if you can't use the ocean. I don't know if you have any recourse for this. Let us know what happens. Maybe they'll dodge a bullet and not be affected by this.

League City, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

I, too am looking for any information. My extended family (5 couples and all our kids) booked a very large home on SGI through SGI Vacation Properties for the first week of June. I was told today that there would be no refunds...as long as the house was habitable. I asked if they could waive the 30 days notice for the reservation change...so that, at the time the final payment is due (2 wks prior to checkin), if the beach has been contaminated, then we could reschedule until next year..at least that way we won't have lost our deposit. Answer: NO. We have until Friday to make a decision on the reschedule...or we gamble and wait until the time of final payment and then either decide to chance it or cancel. It's really a shame too; we made the reservation in January and we were soooo looking forward to going down. 5 families...think how much return business the entire island is going to miss out on. And not just for this year; but also in the years ahead when you're whole economy is trying to rebuild. We have read how wonderful this community is; but based on my experience with the person I spoke to today at St. George Island Vacation Properties...its no wonder this area is considered the Forgotten Coast...they have obviously forgotten good customer service skills.

Magnolia, Arkansas
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

I got this today from a company that rents out of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL. I wish more rental companys would send us something like this.

May 3, 2010

Dear Guest,

Brett/Robinson, as well as many people in our area, are watching and waiting to see where the oil spill travels. There are many questions and many "what ifs" regarding this event.

Today, Monday, May 3, 2010, the spill is located approximately 90 to 100 miles off our coast line (NOAA trajectory); the spill has moved 20 miles further away from our beaches in the last 48 hours. Today, the prevailing winds will be coming from the north with a weather front coming through the area; this will additionally assist in keeping the spill off shore and away from our beaches.

At this point, it is too early to tell where the coast may be impacted, however, projections on Sunday had Mobile, Gulf Shores, and Orange Beach as not being in the immediate impact area.

At this time, there is no oil anywhere visible from our beaches, there is no smell from the spill and there has been no tar reported in the water.

In good faith to support your vacations plans, Brett/Robinson has put in place the following advise/procedures concerning this situation:

Because changes come about hourly and 30 days is a long way away, we are asking you to wait before canceling your vacation, especially those of you who are scheduled to arrive more than 30 days from today.

You may cancel your reservation at any time without incurring a cancellation penalty.

If you arrive for vacation and are not satisfied with your experience, we will refund you any unused portion of your rent if you choose to leave early.

Thank you for staying with us and enjoying our beautiful Beaches.

Sincerely

Brett/Robinson Vacations

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

Although as a local this is a very serious situation and we are trying to take every percaution to get ready, please be careful with taking everything the media says as factual. They are always going to make everything the worst situation anyone could ever think of. Here are some facts. The oil spill accident happened 2 weeks ago today. Since then the most the oil slick has traveled in any direction is about 75 miles or so. The oil slick is still 75-100 mile from any florida beaches (Pensacola being the closest) depending on who's report you listen to. Here is some Steve (That's me)math and opinions. Slick has moved 75 miles in 2 weeks. So at that rate it would be another week or 2 before it gets to Pensacola, weather and wind pending. Panama City Beach is 100 miles from Pensacola, so that would be another week or 2. St George Island is yet another 80 miles from PCB. My guess would be if you are coming down Thursday you are going to be more than fine unless a hurricane springs up and starts blowing this thing right at us.

St. George Island...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

Stevepcb is correct as far as St. George Island is concerned. It seems the "authorities" say everyday that the oil is "72 hours" from Pensacola and we are so far away there. Those projections started a week and a half ago and it's still a significant distance away. Might we get hit? Maybe, and we are certainly preparing very diligently. From personal experience, I know that every rental mngt company is different - especially depending on location, the type of contract they have with their homeowners, their upfront costs, even the type of lodging that is offered. (High Rise condos vs single-family homes.) I know from their website that Resort Vacation Properties is guaranteeing refunds minus 10% of the total rental amount if the beaches are closed during your stay. This is a very challenging time for everyone in Franklin County b/c they completely rely on tourism and the seafood industry. If you are planning a trip this way, please, please keep your reservation. If all else fails, a lot of the homes on SGI, (at least with Resort), have private pools and they've said that if the beaches are closed and your house doesn't have one, if there is another house available that has one - they'll move you. www.resortvacationproperties.com.

St. George Island...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

Stevepcb is correct as far as St. George Island is concerned. It seems the "authorities" say everyday that the oil is "72 hours" from Pensacola and we are so far away there. Those projections started a week and a half ago and it's still a significant distance away. Might we get hit? Maybe, and we are certainly preparing very diligently. From personal experience, I know that every rental mngt company is different - especially depending on location, the type of contract they have with their homeowners, their upfront costs, even the type of lodging that is offered. (High Rise condos vs single-family homes.) I know from their website that Resort Vacation Properties is guaranteeing refunds minus 10% of the total rental amount if the beaches are closed during your stay. This is a very challenging time for everyone in Franklin County b/c they completely rely on tourism and the seafood industry. If you are planning a trip this way, please, please keep your reservation. If all else fails, a lot of the homes on SGI, (at least with Resort), have private pools and they've said that if the beaches are closed and your house doesn't have one, if there is another house available that has one - they'll move you. www.resortvacationproperties.com.

Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

We have been down there when a hurricane hit and they made us leave...no refund....The only thing I can say is if your house has a pool, you will still have water to swim in. It is a beautiful island. Good luck. They are not very helpful when it comes to cancellations!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

beachluvr - Pack your bags and enjoy your vacation!!!! No oil on the beaches anywhere in Florida..... St Geo is also much further east so it would be even less likely than Pensacola to get any effects any time soon....

Water is clear, weather is warm, beaches are perfect (normal), and looks to be that way for the next several days, if not weeks....

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St George island vacation cancellations

My rental company put this notice on their website: Our reservation isn't till September but I was glad to see this announcement.

'Louisiana Deepwater Horizon Incident

Collins Vacation Rentals is pleased to report that St. George Island and Franklin County beaches and bays remain unaffected by the Louisiana Deepwater Horizon Incident, located almost 300 miles from the Island. Director of Franklin Emergency Management, Pam Brownell, states, "At this time, Franklin County is safe and has not been impacted by the oil spill in the Gulf." (For further information, you may access their website listed below). Collins is optimistic that we will continue to avoid any problems from this incident. We remain in daily contact with Franklin Emergency Management, and monitor the websites of the Florida DEP, NOAA and Visit Florida . Links to these sites have been listed below for your convenience.

Phone calls have been received from concerned guests, inquiring about our cancellation and refund policies. Our contact with CSA Travel Insurance has stated that this incident will not be covered under their policy. However, we are continuing to appeal to them on this issue. Our refund policy: IF St. George Island beaches are closed by Federal, State or County authorities, and CSA does not cover it, we will give a full refund of total monies paid toward your reservation, less 10%, to any guest who has booked a vacation property through Collins Vacation Rentals. In the event that St. George Island beaches are closed during your stay, you will be given a prorated refund. Guests who decide to cancel before any beach closing will be referred to our Rental Policies in effect at the time of their booking.

St. George Island's beaches and bays are truly unaffected by this incident. Today is "business as usual" at Collins Vacation Rentals, and we hope that our refund policies that we have put in place will give you the confidence to book your summer reservations.

Please call our Vacation Planners today - toll free 866-966-0297.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected by the Deepwater Horizon Incident.

5/10/2010

Latest report from Franklin Emergency Management:

www.franklinemergencymanagement.com

Latest report from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP):

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/deepwaterhorizon

Latest report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA):

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov

Latest report from Visit Florida:

www.visitflorida.com/florida_travel_advisory

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach