We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Aqua

My family of 4 (two kiddo's 7 and 11) is thinking about staying at Aqua the week of July 7th -14th? We are looking at renting a 1 bedroom.

We usually vacation in Myrtle Beach, but are looking for slightly calmer / blue waters and have never been to the panhandle before. My kids love the beach / pool, but like to do other things like mini golf / "animal exhibits" in the evenings.

What are your thoughts on this resort? There are so many condo's to choose from, I am very overwhelmed.

How crowded is the beach area in front of the resort?

Where is the best place to find shells?

Will we miss the 4th of July traffic?

Is it realistic to drive down to the 30A area for dinner?

What activities do you suggest?

Thanks so much for answering my questions! It has been a long year and we are in need of a great family vacation.

4 replies to this topic
Simpsonville, South...
Level Contributor
168 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Aqua

We are from SC and I started to go to PCB about 6 years ago and never looked back to Myrtle Beach. Finding shells is a different beast at PCB than MB, you can find some shell along the shore but I have my best luck getting a net (recommend the wooden handle with metal net frame) and get in about knee deep water and drag net through sand and sift sand out and pick out the shells you like I usually get about a mason jar worth the week we go down. They have a flag system in place and no life guards. Green and Yellow is ok to swim Red use caution and double red the water is off-limits. Purple mean dangerous water creature( aka Jellyfish). The water is usually very clear can stand in chest deep water and see your feet. Wave are usually smaller as well. There are putt-putt course, Wonderworks, Ripley's, Sea Screamer is a good time Dolphin tour. You should miss the 4th traffic as they will be leaving town. But that being said Saturday traffic going into PCB is usually bad I try and get in early before 12 pm to beat the rush. Yes you can travel outside of PCB pretty easy I have only been towards Destin a couple times I find there is a lot in PCB no reason to venture elsewhere. The crowds on the beach are no where near as bad as they are in MB IMHO. That being said we normally stay at one complex so I can't attest for rest of beach but the crowds in town seem smaller. The sand will surprise you it is not blistering hot like MB I can actually walk barefoot in the sand the wood walkways are hotter than the sand. We eat at a place called Boon Docks it a bit outside of town on the bay (good Seafood). They have an airboat service (Wild Thang)next door that does 15 min boat rides while you wait for $10 a piece we do it every time we go. Pink Pelican Ice Cream is a Must. David's Sno-Balls is another great treat. When you looking for places to eat don't count out looking at Panama City on Trip advisor also they have a different list of a lot of things. Place called Bayou Bob's I think you eat on a dock like back deck and you see the boats harbor and at night they have lights in water and lots of fish around. Hope you have a great trip I think you will enjoy the change from MB.

Festus, Missouri
Level Contributor
38 posts
2. Re: Aqua

The message above is amazing! One thing to add. If you go over to St. Andrews State Park their beach is a ton of fun and on the other side of the jetty's there is a shallow almost wading area this is great to snorkel in! If you take a net and dig through the sand you can find TONS of shells. We leave with 3 of the shell net bags full of amazing shells each year.

Also have stayed at Aqua and love the resort.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Aqua

I found these post very helpful although not my thread. I'm in the same situation. I've been going to Mrytle for 20+ years but wanted something new. So I'm trying PCB for the first time June 30th -July 7th at the Calyspo.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 04:44
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Aqua

Guess there is plenty of us trying new things. I love Myrtle Beach but will be trying PCB for the first time, staying at Splash July14-21.

Reply to: Aqua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted