We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
262 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

Hi Everyone -

We're kicking off planning for our 2014 return to Disney World. This time we'll have two kids (20 months / 4 years) and grandparents in tow...

Anyway - I am booking the rental car came across the new Firefly on Priceline. Some quick TA and DISboards research suggest that it's worth a try - very very low rates, and they are located in the airport. Just curious if anyone has used them lately.

Also - I booked directly with Firefly on their website and I found it odd that all I had to provide was an email address for the booking, no credit card or anything. Is that normal?

Magic Kingdom Park
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,710 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Anyone used this company before?

It's been over 13 years since I needed a rental car, but I would think a C.C. for reservations is standard.

Klaipeda, Lithuania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I hired a car from Firefly for 10 days from Cagliari airport booked through economycarrentals. I paid online €216 for economy class car with Full insurance Zero deductible, but at the rental desk Firefly representative told me that my insurance don't cower my will and reserve €1500.

I took from their the additional insurance €133/10days and anyway was blocked €300 on my credit card. The car was scratched and with damaged rear headlamp.

I called by phone 3 times to their and it took 30min till their mini van pick-up as to car park. Office was dirty and crammed. On process the paperwork to collect a car passangers must wait outside in the dust and in the sun, no bench, no safe.

I had no any accidents during rent time; I returned car on time; Firefly representative check a car and signs off and given me 'Rental agreement/invoice' and 4 month after I return a car I have been charged €36,30 on my credit card without any notification (rented car on May was charged on Sept) . I have no idea what for.

I sent them several emails and query on web but no any answer.

You can read more bad reviews here too reviewcentre.com/Car-Hire/…Reviews

Edited: 09 October 2013, 23:14
London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I had exactly the same thing. I had to wait 30mins for a lift to the off airport office(20mins away) then they basically said my credit card wasn't working for the £1500 deposit and that I had to, absolutly had to buy this extra insurance to be able to being it down to £350 deposit. A very kind lady offered to put the deposit on her card and they still refused. The. When I agreed (as I had no choice) my credit card suddenly magically worked. I'm still disputing with holiday auto, here's and firefly but it's a real drag. I work in tv and know the BBC watchdog programme makers very well so i will be speaking to them if the complaint isn't sorted soon.

Avoid avoid avoid. Firefly and hertz at all costs!!!

Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I was also looking at renting with Firefly at the Orlando Airport since they are in the airport and cheap. Only thing is that I've seen that international reviews weren't that positive but I haven't really found any reviews yet for anyone who has rented in Orlando from them. Have you found anything yet or did you end up booking with them? Thanks.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly Car Rental

It is not all that uncommon for car rental places to not ask for a credit card number at the time of reservation. Since most reservations can be canceled at any time with no penalty, and they need the credit card at the time of the rental, there is little reason to collect it in advance.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,681 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly Car Rental

A friend and I rented with Firefly in the earlier part of Oct. We were upgraded ( no charge) since they didn't have a car in the size ordered. Firefly is connected somehow to Hertz and the vehicles they use are old Hertz Vehicles, We received a 2012 Camry with 40,000 miles but it was clean and drove fine. It did have some dings and small dents--but I could care less. We did NOT take the full tank option.

There were some reports here on TA of people having problems with them ie. being badgered to upgrade and get insurance beyond what they wanted. Friend and I ( two older females) did not experience this at all.

Home
Level Contributor
13 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi,

I just rented from Firefly Orlando. Let me tell you this was the first and the last time I will ever use this company. It's Hertz under a different name and they use high mileage cars. The cars are located on the second floor all the way in the back of Hertz. The car they rented us was broken. It drove but we called it putt putt because it couldn't shift into first very well. Since we had such a hard time reaching anyone to help us we just kept it in hopes it didn't break down. I also just got billed for Platepass, something for tolls. This service was never explained to me,, we paid cash going through the toll lanes,, I would suggest you get receipts when renting. and make sure you question plate pass,,, It's just worth the few bucks you might save.

Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
138 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly Car Rental

We just used Firefly and had no problems at all. Our car had 44000 miles but I don't consider this very high. The price was at least 1/2 of the other rentals. It was a little further to walk but that was no big deal either. Would definitely rent from them again.

Caledonia, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Don't use them!! Horrible

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi Everyone - Thanks for your replies. Given that the Firefly rate was so low, I went ahead and and rented from them. I paid ~$215 all in for 8 days with a full size, which I think was a great deal!

Everything with Firefly was fine and very similar to every other car rental expierence i have ever had. They sell the upgrades, gas and insurance when you pick up the car just like everywhere else. The car itself was older - 2012 I think - with about 50k miles on it. Return was a breeze. You do have to walk a bit to the Firefly area in the parking garage (behind Hertz) and it isn't well signed.

My in laws had booked an economy car, and were upgraded to a full size free because of availability. All in all, I would probably rent from them again if they continue to offer such great rates.