We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

Danvers...
Level Contributor
828 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

We are staying at the hard rock in universal in August and have a babysitter booked for a couple nights. Looking for suggestions for the best food restaurants in the area. We would take a taxi within a ten minute drive from the hotel if there was a place that we shouldn't miss. We are from Boston and lived in NYC for several years so we can be hard to please. If there isn't anything on that level that requires a drive we would rather stay within the universal hotels or citiwalk area.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

www.emerilsrestaurants.com/emerils-orlando

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,531 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

We really liked Lombard's, right inside the Universal park :)

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,890 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

Scott Joseph was a restaurant critic for the Orlando Sentinel for 20+ years. Even now, her continues to be an extremely astute judge of restaurant quality in Central Florida. Look at his picks in the Universal area:

scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/…

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

Seconding Emeril's.

Orlando_Vic - enjoyed the Scott Joseph link - thanks :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

For a foodie, do yourself a favor and skip Emeril's.

Look at The Rusty Spoon, The Boheme, The Table and Café Tu Tu Tango.

If you'd stretch the cab ride to 20 minutes I'd add The Ravenous Pig, Cask & Larder, K Restaurant and Luma on Park.

I'd double check the restaurants using urbanspoon, yelp and chowhound.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

There are a number of eateries along "restaurant row", which is Sand Lake Road west of I-4 in the community of Doctor Phillips. That's about a ten-minute taxi ride right down Turkey Lake Road.

We've enjoyed Chatham's Place, and other non-chain places are Amura, Roy's, and Seasons 52. We've also enjoyed Bosphorous in Winter Park, and they have a branch along there. There are several dozen restaurants within a six-block stretch.

Look at www.opentable.com , as well as reviews right here on TA and www.yelp.com .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

>>>We've enjoyed Chatham's Place, and other non-chain places are Amura, Roy's, and Seasons 52.<<<

All good choices, but both Roy's & Seasons52 are chains, very good chains, but chains nonetheless if that matters. Amura is not quite a chain yet, but working on it, they have 4 total locations.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

Yes, I've seen other Roy's. Right after I wrote it, I thought I probably should have said they are not MAJOR chains, as I think Roys has 2-3 dozen restaurants, according to a card I saw there once. We have one in Chicago.

Seasons 52 is probably similar, as there is one in Oakbrook IL, and another north of Orlando.

I was trying to think about places that they might not have in Boston, but you are technically right.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

The definition of a foodie can be very different, depending on who you ask. If you by saying you're a foodie by NYC standards and like to eat at Per Se, Daniel or 11 Madison, you will not find anything in Orlando, perhaps except from Victoria & Alberts. I would recommend you to lower your expectations and save the special occation for when you can find a real foodie place.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best restaurants for foodies near universal?

Foodie does not equal expensive dining, there are NYC foodie places like Momofuku Noodle Bar, Ippudo and Xian Famous Foods, to name a few, that are highly regarded but not expensive.