We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for a special day in orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ideas for a special day in orlando

hi have decided to go to a budget hotel and spend extra on attractions ect have just checked swimming with the dolphins at sea world it does not have any days available when we will be there, does anyone have any ideas on where we could go for a really special day which a family of five would enjoy 2 adults and three kids 15 14 and 12 have already thought of space centre, is hot air ballooning expensive? we will have a car so can travel.

thanks milliesgirl

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

What about Discovery Cove? Have never been but I understand that it is awesome...well worth the $$$$$

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

thanks nannger

just checking it out as you can go for an all inclusive package its not that expensive

and i think all my kids would enjoy the day including the adults

thanks milliesgirl

Mays Landing, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

disney world has a dolphin experience... can't vouch for it as i never did it. (did discovery cove with my teens last yr. and we liked that.) we also went on a hot air balloon ride with orange blossom balloons and had a nice time. other thoughts for you: sky venture (indoor parachuting); alligator/crocodile airboat rides (especially at night); helicopter rides; skull kingdom and chamber of magic dinner theatre (evening); sleuth mystery dinner theatre; pirates dinner theatre; arabian nights dinner theatre (been to all and enjoyed - going back to sleuth this year as requested by my teens - a boy and a girl.) stay away from wet and wild unless you go when it opens and plan to leave early.cirque de(spelling?) soleil at disney is a very entertaining show. i am not from florida but we visit there yearly. have fun! jersey girl (USA)

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

hi lunatique

thanks for repling, we stayed in an hotel close to wetnwild last year and we spent too much time there, this year i want to give the kids some great experiences as surprises,

do you think the hot air balloon would suit someone who does not like rollercoasters because of the height???

can you give me an idea of the cost i would imagine i would have to book well in advance

thanks milliesgirl

Mays Landing, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

orange blossom web site: http://www.orangeblossomballoons.com/

the cost they are posting is $175.00 adult and $95.00 age 10-15 under 9 is free. my then 15 yr and 13 yr olds liked it but it does start early. (basically at dawn due to wind issues.) i am a white knuckle flyer and don't get on coasters much anymore myself, but the flight sensation is much different. there isn't any of the "jerky" sensations of coasters of plane flight turbulence. it is very smooth and the view is so absorbing that it overrides any fear. the only negatives we had were the basket size (seating for one, the balloonist and 3 others must stand and there is minimal movement room;) also, the hour- i think we had to get up at 4:30 or 5am to do this, but again, we did enjoy it. you have to drive to a meeting site and from there the "chaser" takes you to the launch area where the balloons are layed-out and inflated. awesome site in the sunrise. bring a camera for sure. breakfast at laquintas included (not as good as ours at the jw marriott though!)

what do your kids really enjoy doing?

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

hi lunatique

have just checked out the details orange blosom is the best price, i have two boys into rollercoasters,rock music and sport and a daughter who is a rollercoaster freak!!!!

the kids will try anything and are very adventerous!!!

i think this will be our last time in florida all together so i want to make it really special, as younger kids they did all the mickey mouse stuff and last year overloded on rollercoasters,so this year i want them to try other things, i have to wait until they are out of the house or in bed beore i check out everything as they would have me demented !!!!!!!!

i have planned a special day for the boys and i am still looking for a day for a 14 year old girl, i thought maybe some pampering any ideas

thanks for helping

milliesgirl

Mays Landing, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

i have a 14 year old daughter. (my husband suggests room service as her preference if she is like ours!!!!) the ritz carlton has a spa (as i am sure many other places there do) that offers facials, pedicures, manicures, etc... while my daughter likes that, she also likes wakeboarding which we are going to do this time at wakeboard orlando (we have a boat and they want to improve their skills there but they have all skill range available.) there is also a property that has wave runners and boats for tubing and stuff available (and a beach with bar service, so i am looking at this one too.)(have to find it again though...) we are also trying the "snorkeling with manatees" for a day there which sounds like it will be fun. my daughter would also like to go to the mall, but even i don't want to spend a vacation day there! just to make sure, you list no availability at sea world to swim with the dolphins, this is the discovery cove part of sea world right? they have different venues for the dolphin activity. (i booked mine 5 mos. in advance thought...)

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

last year we went to the premium outlet store and my eldest son spent 1 hour in the levi shop choosing a pair of jeans while the rest of the family sat outside on the hottest day of our trip, i think we drank enough water to sink a ship!!!!!!!!!!

so beware of teenagers in the mall!!!!

my kids have surfed before and have taken some lessons and this might be an option for another day.

i think discovery cove seems like a good option for a good all round family day and i like the idea of having the meals included in the price.

i think the balooning is a definate and thanks for the reasurance of a smooth trip, i have still to go on a rollercoaster in fact i went on the tower of terror last year and nearly collasped afterwards!!!

my kids can not understand how i can enjoy orlando without the rollercoasters.

thanks milliesgirl

Mays Landing, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

i hope that you have a great trip. this amazes me, that we can "talk" from New Jersey, USA to Northern Ireland like this...(why can't everyone just "talk" and get along like this?) discovery cove was really fun and they provide everything you need. it is really clean too. plenty of chairs and very relaxing. dolphin encounter is brief though...they also have photographers that record your experiences and at the end of the day you can buy the pictures you want on a cd (this is also costly, but i am glad i did because my pc crashed and that cd has the only photos from our trip last year.) it is now 9:40pm here and i am going to sign off - work tomorrow. any further queries i will be glad to respond to tomorrow! safe and fun travel!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ideas for a special day in orlando

I think the Cirque du Soleil show would be an excellent choice. It's really an amazing show. If you go, try to book seats in the center upper section. If you are too close or on the side, it's easy to miss some of the action.