We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Does anyone have tips or advice about driving from Charlotte to Orlando? We're coming from the NY area, but flights from NY airports to Orlando are pricely and most require a transfer. I've been looking into alternatives, and Charlotte looks pretty good. We can get direct flights, at convenient times, and they are much cheaper. I'd love to stop in Savannah, GA along the way. Is this crazy?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

We are thinking of going the other way, Orlando to Charlotte, so we must be crazy also!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,934 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

the only crazy thing about Savanah is that if it is a more direct route from Charlotte to Orlando than backtracking all the way east to I95 and Savanah. But Savanah is a nice town. It all depends on how much time you have and if you want to boggie down to FL as fast as possible.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Savannah is defintely worth stopping at, lovely town :)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

If you like historical you will love Savannah. Factors Walk is great even tho it's a little touristy we love it. Most of the restaurants there have good food. And I just have to have the fresh made Pralines! Lots of little shops, waterfront is great, lots of hotels here. There are carriage rides, tours, Paula Deans tour, many historical sites to visit, take a ride out to Tybee Island and see the fort & lighthouse along the way. Its a great city. From Savannah you can travel down I-95 and cut over on I-4 or stop in Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach before heading to Orlando.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Charlotte to Orlando is a breeze!!! We drive from Toronto (yes, Canada) to Orlando!!! It should take you about 8 hours. It takes us 20 hours from home, but we normally stop in Rock Hill. Next time we drive down I'd LOVE to go to Savannah. We love the southern charm!!!

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

It is all interstate and not a bad drive if you miss the Jacksonville rush hour. Savannah is only a few miles out of the way if you use I-26 and I-95.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

As surffish mentioned, it is all interstate from Charlotte to WDW, but it is still 560 miles, so stopping in Savannah would at least break up the trip. When we drive to WDW, we stop in Columbia, SC (around 90 miles south of Charlotte), but there are probably few if any flights going there from the New York area.

orange park florida
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

we just did this drive on sunday well actually we live outside of jacksonville just take 77 south to 26 east to 95 south cant miss the savanah exits then you just take 95 south to I-4 west.it only takes maybe 6 or 7 hours if u do not stop a lot. if you do hit jacksonville at rush hour take new road 9-A great little bypass hardly any traffic.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Have you looked at the flights from White Plains airport (HPN) to Orlando? I’ll usually go in and out of there and a month or so ago it was half the price of going into JFK with a fraction of the hassle. I’m not really sure why. I usually fly Jet Blue and love it. I always catch a direct flight.

You might also consider just driving. I come up that way in December most years, with a stop in DC. Total travel time is 18 to 19 hours, provided you avoid rush-hour in New York, DC, and Jacksonville.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Charlotte, NC to Orlando

Thank you for the replies!! I booked our flights - we're flying into Charlotte and we will save about $100 per person. I can't believe how much flights have gone up since I started tracking for this trip. I feel better about the drive from Charlotte to Orlando - thank you for your words of encouragement! We're going to stop in Savannah for a night on the way down, and possibly a second night on the way back to Charlotte. I'm looking forward to the trip! With flights booked, I'm ready to start lining everthing else up. Can't wait!