We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Topic
Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

OK, it was nearly 20 years ago when we last went to Orlando [Belz Mall was where Premium Outlets is @ the top of i-Drive now i think? ;) ] & there was certainly many a suitcase straining bargain to be had way back then but...

...alas no more?

We couldn't believe how just how much more expensive everything had become - food / meals & shopping included.

Everyone still bangs on about the cheap shopping but i beg to differ. What bargains did we miss? (& yes, we had a fair old look around.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

I think for us it's not so much the cost, it's the different thingS you can get over there. They have different and larger ranges so that's why we like the shopping!!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

It is the 20 years that is the problem ie inflation.

And 20 years ago, there weren't outlet shopping centers in the UK, nor Primark, TK Max, Ikea etc. No internet shopping then for cheaper trainers etc. So prices int he UK have come down on some things due to competition in the meantime.

So you aren't comparing things properly. I can still find bargains in the states on electricals, DVDs laptops, Ipods etc. And on some clothing (Levis, Abercrombie, Hollister, Victoria Secret etc).

Also, right now the exchange rate isn't fantastic (though seen it worse than this too).

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

Agree with the variety & different choices angle of course smileymum and don't get me wrong - we weren't looking for the same stuff as here but cheaper - but just got the feeling that everything was so much more in relative terms?

My old (very, very rough) rule of thumb was that things were generally the same "figure" but in $'s - making them approx a third cheaper or so at prevailing rates.

We did get a cheap(er) build a bear though in Florida mall - so at least my youngest is happy : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

Lol build a bear is a thorn in my side!! Lol

nice to hear that if nothing else it's cheaper there!!!!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

Guess so amanx

& it's not an in-depth economic analysis either - of course you are right about the UK's retail trends since (they have essentially caught up i agree) & undoubtedly some brands / goods have the edge on price - but overall I just got a feeling, it wasn't the "cheaper" place it once seemed to be (& i include food - supermarkets & eating out - in that).

All that aside though, my memory is so bad these days, that i could have paid twice the going rate all that time ago & have just forgotten !

Still a blast of a holiday though : )

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
700 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

We recently went to Maine for outlet shopping and were very disappointed...have been coming down from Canada for 20 years for selection, and yes, price...and this time, it was more like a cluster of regular retail stores that may or may not have had a good sale rack. In the Clark's shoe store we actually saw several signs that said something like "regular retail $69.99. Compare our outlet price at $69.99!"

Didn't have much chance to outlet shop last time we were in Orlando, but I'm assuming as it's Prime and Premium all over the country, that it's similar. Too bad.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 03:28
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

Haven't been the States for about 5 years now but during our last visit to NYC we got the bus to Woodbury Common and found it ridiculously cheap. We had to leave because we literally couldn't carry any more stuff. Exchange rate was probably the same as it is now.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

I'll give you teh grocery shopping bit- that isn't much cheaper and can be more on some things.

But eating out there is still by far cheaper. We just had 3 weeks in the UK and France eating out cheap, mid price, and nicer places. And all were by far more expensive than the US. Had lunch last friday in our fav italian/pizza joint and the bill w/o tip was 64 Quid or $98 (4 pizzas, one pasta one garlic bread, 3 beers 5 sodas). No way would a meal like that cost nearly $100 in the USA.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

amanx - again, across the board, you are right ref the eating out but equally, silly (& far less haute cusine) things like a McFlurry in one of the "gormet" McD's on i- Drive was actually more than one here in the UK.

& don' t think i was 'under the influence' at the time - but it's a possibility.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping NOT so cheap after all?

We were there at Christmas, and didnt find the food shopping expensive! Mind you we live in Germany and the cost of living over here is high!

We bought laptops at a megga cheap price, litterally save a few hundred pounds!

And DH bought some clothes from Lacoste and saved a lot of money!

I think eating out is definatley cheaper there, can not compare to UK but certainly cheaper than here!