We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We can't do it All...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
52 reviews
We can't do it All...

but I want to come back from Florida feeling as if we haven't missed out on too much.

We're a family of four - kids are DD age 17 (birthday during the trip) and DS will be 12 3/4. The plan is to visit for 16 days in end July/start August 2019 and do Disney and Universal.

However, I met a friend today who said "if you go to Florida don't miss the Space Center", and several people have said don't miss this, or don't dismiss that, and I just feel WE CAN'T DO IT ALL.

Also, I want to have a rough itinerary so to know what hotels to book - example DD insisted we do MK on our first day so that's one concrete thing and we'll have a Disney hotel first and a Universal hotel later. Also, I would like at least one beach day - I've posted on here before about booking 3 hotels and I'm OK with that but still feel I need to decide exactly how many days we need near Tampa in order to book hotels around it. All of us want to do Busch Gardens and if we do the Summer Nights til late, it makes sense to book a hotel close to crash in, and we could do Clearwater beach before or after.

16 days is longer than I've ever been on holiday for in one go, and while OH doesn't want to say this is "the holiday of a lifetime" because it implies we won't be back, we won't be back for quite a few years and DD at least (plus maybe DS) will be grown up then - so this is our last family holiday as 2A2C. So there is pressure to have the best holiday ever, I know there shouldn't be but there is.

But how to decide what to put on the itinerary and what to leave off? (sorry for the long post, thanks for reading this far)

HT

48 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
1. Re: We can't do it All...

Oh, your post is not too long it gives everybody an idea of what you want to do. We have had numerous trips to Disney and we still have not done it all.

Ask each of your family members what is the most important thing to them. Those are your priorities if each person has at least one day that is about their choices that should make everybody happy. You are going for a long time , but it probably wont feel like enough. Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom are 2 full day parks IMO. there is a lot of good info out there. Have a great time.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: We can't do it All...

Thanks travlynme, that's good advice. The kids are old enough to have opinions and keep saying stuff like they need (neeeed!) to go to the Harry Potter areas, or the Jurassic Park bit - if I can get them and OH to say what they really can't miss I can work from there. It's knowing stuff like how long to allow for which parks too.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: We can't do it All...

You can’t do it all, “properly”, but you can have a great time trying;-);-)

What I suggest is don’t even try. You’ll end up rushing everywhere & not get chance to smell the roses..

Set lower expectations of what you must do this trip, then hopefully you’ll get to return & do other things:-):-)

We’ve been going since the early 90's, still haven’t got to KSC or Busch, though we’re more than happy with what we get to do:-):-)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: We can't do it All...

Thanks Mike, yes I'm worried our "to do in Florida" list is getting longer and that we'll try too hard to do it all and forget to enjoy the holiday. Maybe if we do as travlynme suggests and make sure each of us gets to do the most important thing to them, then the rest is a bonus. And I think OH really isn't bothered about KSC, even though my friend loved it - so maybe leave that one for another time.

Thanks again,

HT

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
847 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: We can't do it All...

Make sure you also include time to enjoy the pools and relax. You can't do it all, so don't try to fit too much in and not be able to enjoy it.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: We can't do it All...

Thanks Jules. Yes, all advice is to have rest days but sometimes I feel as if having a rest day is just another thing to "fit in" but I guess we'll enjoy the parks much more if we have some downtime.

Sometimes in all this planning I forget to breathe!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: We can't do it All...

I would plan your must do items that you feel you don’t want to miss. And then have a list of things you would like to do if you have the time and energy.

IMO some try to squeeze too much in. They don’t really get to see much but want to check the box that they’ve done it. That’s a waste.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
20,467 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: We can't do it All...

When you stay on site at Universal to do their parks (at a deluxe with express passes) you'll find that very relaxing and fun. We stayed 6 days/nights last Aug. in Royal Pacific and did 5 days in the two main parks and a day at Volcano bay and still missed a couple of things. But we made sure every day to get back to the pool by 4:00 ish the latest to relax/swim for a couple of hours and then cleaned up and out to dinner :)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
150 reviews
9. Re: We can't do it All...

Hi

We have not visited KSC for a number of years and it has never been on the kids "to do" list. They much prefer the parks and water parks.

It is possible to do all the parks and have a couple of days in Tampa but it does need planning. I'll dig out an itinerary from when we did a similar trip including Tampa from about 4 years ago.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: We can't do it All...

I’ve been going since 1983 and still would not say I’ve done it all. The state has so,much to see.

But in main you have 6 main parks between Disney and universal. Add in Busch, KSC. Plus a day at the beach. Chuck in discovery cove and sea world that’s 11 days. Throw in coupe of,water parks and your itinerary is pretty full.

It’s very hard to see it all in just one hit. Got to see what you all want most, and how hard you what your days to be.

Reply to: We can't do it All...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted