We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bedbug help

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Bedbug help

My family and I recently stayed at a rental house in Kissimmee and discovered soon after we arrived that the place was infested with bed bugs (confirmed by the exterminator). While I appreciate that this could happen anywhere, my issue is with the rental company. We rented through VRBO, but with the owner. The house is maintained by another company, and the number to call was to this company. At 1:30am, we were calling this number to get no one but the maintenance man who couldn't do much for us. This is a long story, but to keep it brief, they were less than sympathetic to us and the 5 kids who were in bed in potentially infested rooms. They would not move us, as they had to clear it with the owner because it would be his responsibility... he said he sent out all the emails. Who are you getting by email at 2am? And advised us to 'go back to bed' and wait to hear from them.

Basically all the adults stayed up in the kitchen all night, and we checked the kids in the beds every 20 mins or so to make sure no bugs were visible. We had been up since 7 the morning before, and no one called us. We called them numerous times before we got someone at 10:30am, who basically told us they would move us when they could. Then advised us to put 1 or 2 sets of clothes in the dryer for a full cycle before leaving and leave the rest of the things. This started Thurs night.. it was Wed before we could fully access our bags. (there is a lot more of the story that im omitting for length, including them blaming us for the bugs... an infestation of bugs. We got there about 7pm and found them at 1:30am)

We missed out on park time, time with friends who were leaving that Saturday, because we were exhausted and spent so much time moving things from place to place (they offered their help AFTER we had moved what we were told to move). The exterminators didn't come until Mon night.

Someone needs to answer for this problem but I'm being put off and put off and the owner takes responsibility but says he is disabled and this will ruin his future as a homeowner in Kissimmee. I'm wondering what the maintenance company's responsibility is here? They are the ones I have an issue with. The homeowner is in another state, and could not have known about the bugs. It was the way we were treated when we contacted them for help. We were in another country, with 5 kids and nowhere to go, and no real information on the process of extermination. Does anyone have any info about this kind of thing? I know it's kind of vague. Thank you so much in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
6 replies to this topic
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,339 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bedbug help

Wow!!!

i don't have the answers for you, but you should report this incident on the Bedbug Registry. http://bedbugregistry.com/

" the owner takes responsibility but says he is disabled and this will ruin his future as a homeowner in Kissimmee."

That's no excuse. Report him and the management company. https://www.bbb.org/en/us/

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
2. Re: Bedbug help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 November 2017, 09:35

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bedbug help

It is totally the owners responsibility- he employs the management company- sounds as if he is cutting corners and playing the sympathy card - if it’s his livelihood he should employ a good management company to look after the property- there’s enough of them

I know nothing about how these things work in Florida regarding the bed bug situation but the advice given by Vic sounds good to me

However as someone who rents villas I would be in contact with VRBO and leaving an appropriate review of said villa (and owner) - did you see any negative reviews on his listing?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bedbug help

I might also question this with my credit card company if that is how you paid. You might have a dispute if you have your specifics documented.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bedbug help

As suggested file a dispute with your credit card company. Most card companies are pretty good about standing behind the consumer. It does not replace your ruined vacation but at least you wont be out of pocket for costs.

glasgow
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bedbug help

Did you contact vrbo at the time. Vrbo hold your money until 24 hrs after arrival incase of issues like this. It only gets released to the owner after this time.

Reply to: Bedbug help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted