We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festival of Fantasy Parade question

Mumbai, India
12 posts
Festival of Fantasy Parade question

We're planning a trip with our 8 year old in Dec. The FoF parade timing is 3 PM.

Our plan is to hit the park early (before opening) and cover some of the main attractions before noon - have secured 2 FPs for that plus have a plan for some of the other shows/rides. We are hoping to leave the park between noon & 3 for a lunch/nap break and be back re-energized to last upto the 9 PM Happily Ever After show & fireworks. We didn't get a Disney Resort reservation but are staying at the close by Hyatt in the WDW area.

We have a fast pass for Belle & the Enchanted castle in the 3PM-4PM window. This means that we will be reentering the park at around the same time as the FoF parade. Will the roads be blocked for us to navigate our way towards FantasyLand? Is there a way to see the parade from somewhere and then get to FantasyLand by 3:30 PM? I read that the parade lasts 12 mins and the Belle event is at 3:10 and 3:40 PM - so we could get the 3:40 one.

Any suggestions on how do we make this work will be appreciated.

16 replies to this topic
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

Quote “We are hoping to leave the park between noon & 3 for a lunch/nap break”

Why??

TBH, I’ve never understood this, even when twins were little we never did that, seems like such a waste of time to me..

Even more of a waste of time if not staying on site..

Do you realise how far the carpark is from MK, (assuming you’ve got a car) & the time it’ll take you to go back & forth??

We tend to plan a snack or meal for a sit down, even the People Mover & Carousel of Progress makes for a nice break;-);-)

Mumbai, India
12 posts
2. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

Thanks! Hubby and I have done MK before in our pre-baby days, and spent the whole day from 9 AM - 10 PM in MK. Inspite of taking the People Mover, I remember being so thoroughly exhausted. We're in Orlando for a short 5 days, so can't budget a break day in between intense parks.

When your kids were little, did they manage to last the 13-14 hours at a stretch in MK and then again be fine to hit Epcot or Animal Kingdom the next day at 8 AM?

Also, agree about onsite hotels, but even those aren't as close as they are made out to be. Our hotel location is in WDW; so not far at all.

I agree - it does seem a waste of time but we plan to get to the gates at 730, and will wake up at 6 AM for that. To head back to the hotel straight at 11 PM sounds super daunting, especially as we would like to hit Epcot or AK next morning again at 7:30 AM.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

Hi artie

When they were little we'd go at they're pace.

One would sleep, while the other was wide awake, so "programming" specific breaks wouldn't have worked for us;-);-)

Mumbai, India
12 posts
4. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

That's true but my child isn't in the stroller any more. I'm open to staying all day in the park too, if that's what works best.

But would also like to get perspective from the "other" side - folks who believe in the break system.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

When they were 8, we couldn't have dragged them out of the parks;-);-)

That said, we always have park hopper tickets, so many times we'd move parks..

A change of scenery would make up for the long days:-):-)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
181 reviews
6. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

The FOF parade starts at 3 in Frontierland. You will have a very tight window to get yourself up Main Street and to Fantasyland before the parade hits. You will be "swimming upstream" so to speak. Main Street will be mobbed as people stake out their spots along the route well in advance. You will most likely have to go to Fantasyland via the bridge to the Mad Tea Cups. At that point you can turn left up the path before you get to the Merida Meet and Great to get to Fantasyland. The hub will be a mad house and the parade would be arriving shortly so you won't have a direct path to Fantasyland at that time of day.

Can't speak to the breaks. Not how we vacation. We do open to close for practically an entire week. Sleep when we get home. An 8 year old will probably have the stamina to do it. Would he even nap? Even when we travelled with a toddler, Magic Kingdom was not a park we left to take breaks from. When naps were happening, they happened in a stroller in the park. Naps at the hotel were saved for the other parks. If you have limited time, I would try and do an actual full day at Magic Kingdom to get it all in. You are going to lose several hours just going to the TTC to hotel and back. Do your afternoon breaks from the other parks. Hollywood Studios and EPCOT should be fairly easy to break away from for a couple hours. Pandora might make it tricky to get all of Animal Kingdom in with leaving for several hours as well.

Edited: 28 November 2017, 04:04
nashville
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

The parade recently moved to 2:00 at least through November and December. They are great about keeping walkways clear so you won't have any problems.

Level Contributor
411 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

All children are different when my kids were small we gotcup real early did parks really early. Went back to the hotel for a break around noon left them nap for an hour or so and plus it gave my husband and myself time to have a drink. My girls were four years apart and my youngest needed a nap they were on schedules now my oldest didn’t need naps like I say children are all different. But we would get them up and they felt better and off we would go again and stay out late. We took breaks and got everything done

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

We rarely returned to the resort with our kids when younger. We almost always park hopped and between the bus ride and a sit down lunch break they were good to go the entire day. We didn't always close the parks as we would stay for 8-10 days and not need fireworks every night.

Level Contributor
411 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Festival of Fantasy Parade question

We closed the parks and still do my girls are 31 and 27. Now we open and close them. My youngest just loves her sleep always has she needed naps. Now she works doing sleep studies. Haha. It’s a joke at our house

Reply to: Festival of Fantasy Parade question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted