We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Villages

Which Ocala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
The Villages

Everyone up in NE OH is raving about the Villages. I know nothing about it but we are going to be in the area and want to see what everyone is talking about. Are there hotels near this place? I cannot figure it all out.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Villages

What town are The Villages located in?

And what is it?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Villages

It is about a 10-yr old (maybe more) development aimed at the retired population located SE of Ocala or NE of Wildwood and near Lady Lake.

There's a Holiday Inn Express, Marriott and a Comfort Suites nearby. They may have a Lady Lake address.

Google will give you any amount of information you want about The Villages.

Nearest full service airport will be Orlando.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 04:37
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Villages

Check their website for more info. Florida's fastest growing "city."

http://www.thevillages.com/index.htm

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,948 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Villages

I actually had a rental from a couple in my area (SW gulf coast) who stayed there and didn't like it.

But mainly as it was a much colder winter than normal so they felt short-changed as they paid to stay there for the winter but it was still cold. the farther you are from the coast has as much effect as how far south you are in cold winter.

I am sure that this last winter which was warmer would have suited you fine. But do be aware of this as what type of winter we get is not guaranteed.

Also it is very retired person based. So this will appeal or not appeal to you depending on if you want a mixed age community or not?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Villages

I believe they will actually give you a free stay in exchange for touring and being subjected to a very aggressive sales pitch.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
77 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Villages

The Villages is a retirement community of about 80,000. There are lots of Snowbirds during the winter months ... The one thing that I say about it here ... yes, I live in The Villages is that is it like 'Disneyland for Adults' There are 2 town centers(Sumter Landing + Spanish Springs) and a 3rd (Browntown) being built.... each evening there is entertainment and dancing. Almost every weekend there is some event at 1 or both of the Town Centers ... Each contain restaurants, movie theaters and retail shops.

As to hotels, yes there are some in the area a quick search of Lady Lake FL will give them to you.

If you have more specific questions ask, there is soooooo much to do.

7. Re: The Villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 01:05
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Villages

There are a number of hotels in The Villages proper. There is a Comfort Suites, Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, Waterfront Inn, and I believe several others. It is a self contained town of about 90000 with many golf courses, shopping, nightlife, entertainment etc for the over 50 crowd with 90 miles of golf cart paths. The homes are lovely, crime rate low and many activities are available. It is located approximately an hour and a half from Orlando and perhaps 45 minutes from Ocala. There are many lakes in the area, polo fields, boating, scenic drives and outdoor activities nearby.

The Villages, FL
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Villages

This is a very large and lovely Retirement Community with free entertainment on the 3 squares every night from 5-9 PM. There is a nice Marriott TownPlace Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Suites right off US27/441 near the Spanish Springs Town Square or the Waterfront Inn near the Lake Sumter Landing Town Square. There are also 83 full service restaurants (all except Katie Belle's and Cattle Baron are open to the public) right on the premises. Most activities are geared to the 90,000 residents who get around mostly by golf cart because there's over 500 holes of golf here. The community is about 13 miles long and 5 miles wide. It's located in central Florida between Leesburg and Ocala, 75 minutes NW of Orlando. It appears "gated" but anyone can enter by saying "Hi" to the guard or asking directions. A very good resource for area restaurants is The Villages Gourmet Club's Restaurant Website at http://thevillagesgourmetclub.com . If you're within 5 years of retirement, it's a must see destination. Free trolley tours of the lifestyle are available at any Sales Center. We've lived here 9 years now and love it.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Villages

Everything that has been said about The Villages is true. There are many positives about life there. In the interest of full disclosure, be aware that it is a very right wing (politically) community. Just so that you know and aren't bothered by this.

Get answers to your questions about Ocala
Recent Conversations