We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mco/Disney/nsb

St. Louis
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Mco/Disney/nsb

Hello!

Traveling to Disney from MCO in April and then 2 days at nsb. I am Wondering about the tolls. Is there a way to avoid tolls or make sure I can Pay cash? The rental car company is going to charge me $20 to use their device!

8 replies to this topic
New Smyrna Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

Fairly certain you can pay cash on 528. I would suggest 528 to 95 to 44... Unfortunately any route without tolls would add ~30 minutes to your trip.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

Yes you can pay cash at the tolls on the way. Make sure you stay in the right lane as left side is for Sun Pass only. Most find the cheapest rental company ends up being the most expensive with their add ones. Next time use www.sunpass.com. It shows the rates each rental car company charges and not all charge every day. Dollar and Thrifty are the worst offenders.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

Depends on the day you leave. If during the weekend, I-4 might be quicker from Disney as New Smyna is in Volusia County, not Brevard. Exit on SR 44. No tolls. If during the week and during rush hour, you may want to use the 417 toll road to Sanford. It takes cash.

If, for some reason, you decide to use 429, it is cashless between 441 and Kelly Park Rd.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

Forgot to say that 528 and 417 take cash from the airport. Some of the exits are exact change

https://www.cfxway.com/

Commerce, Michigan...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

I am currently vacationing in NSB and had to travel to MCO on 2 separate occasions to send kids back home and a week later to pick up my Dad. The toll cost was $1.00 and $1.25 one way (2 toll stops). Like others said, stay to the right and get off at the toll station...pay with cash (manned) or quarters(self pay).

medina
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

tolls on the Bline are $2. There are 2 tolls on the Bline (528) between the airport and 95. They do take cash!

Nesconset, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

Tolls were a pain. There is something called a Sunpass mini - I think it is $5. not sure how you get it but would definitely be worth the time savings.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mco/Disney/nsb

I can think of no reason why should should take a toll road. Most are designed for working commuters. They don't go where tourists tend to go. I-4 is the main route from Tampa-Disney-Orlando-Daytona, with a turnoff for New Smyrna on Rt 46. All free. Rt 50 heads to Kennedy Space center....free

*IF* you want to avoid congestion on I-4 through Orlando (it's being widened, but a mess right now) you could take Rt 417 (toll) around Orlando. Longer, but less crowded. I'm not sure you come out ahead...I live here at a point where 417 is the perfect alternative to I-4 and *still* have never taken it because it's longer going around. There are a couple other E-W tolls roads, but they don't go anywhere you are likely to want to go. You sure DON'T need 528 (toll) to go to or from MCO.

Supposing you decide to do that, you should buy and activate a "sunpass" sticker for your car ($10) with automatic billing to your credit card for any tolls you encounter. You can get them almost everywhere - grocery stores, CVS, Target, etc. as well as at the FL Welcome station. Better: just avoid the toll roads. Some don't even have manned toll booths or any way to pay cash. In your personal car, it won't matter, but car rental companies add a $25 **for each toll** they pay on your behalf.

Except for I-4 going thru Orlando, Florida roads are just not that crowded. I *live* here , got my "sunpass", and rarely use it. Most often, it's because I made a turn by mistake into an on ramp!!! Take the non-toll roads and enjoy the view. You may find some other things worth stopping at, too... the toll roads are sterile strips of concrete that bypass everything.

Reply to: Mco/Disney/nsb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Smyrna Beach
More New Smyrna Beach Topics